AFRICA/CAMEROON - Fidei Donum priest kidnapped
Yaounde (Agenzia Fides) - A French priest, Father Georges Vandenbeusch, 42, was kidnapped in Cameroon, yesterday, 13 November, around 11.30 pm local time, says to to Fides Agency Mgr. Henri Djonyang, Vicar General of the diocese of Maroua - Mokolo. The priest was taken while he was in the parish of Nguetchewe, about twenty kilometers from the border with Nigeria.
"The kidnappers spoke English, Houssa and Kanuri", said Mgr. Djonyang. It is suspected that the kidnappers come from Nigeria and are men of the Islamist sect Boko Haram.
"Fr. Vandenbeusch is a Fidei Donum priest of the Diocese of Nanterre, on the outskirts of Paris. He has been here for about three years and is primarily committed to giving shelter and support to the families of refugees from Nigeria", said the Vicar General. "We are in contact with local authorities but at the moment we have no further information", he concludes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/11/2013)
- 2015-07-29 - AFRICA/CAMEROON – For women kamikaze detonators easier to hide
- 2015-07-02 - Floods destroy homes and buildings, there are two thousand displaced
- 2015-06-17 - Women and girls rebel against forced marriage
- 2015-05-20 - Food insecurity in the north of the Country
- 2015-02-23 - Cameroonian press questions French policy to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-10-22 - African Catholic Bishops: "Respect democratic turnover"
- 2014-10-13 - "Only the Church assists victims of Boko Haram in the north of Cameroon," says a missionary
- 2014-09-03 - Humanitarian emergency for more than 30.000 people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-07-16 - Insecurity caused by Boko Haram: The Church promotes a day of prayer
- 2014-06-27 - An alleged kidnapper of the Italian missionaries and Canadian nun has been arrested