AMERICA/HAITI - Tension in the capital: the protest against President Martelly increases
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides) - A part of the Haitian population is crying out for the resignation of President Michel Martelly: this is what the protesters who recently took to the streets in Delmas and in the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince say. The protest against the government started from the suburbs and reached Petionville, the area of trade and economic elite of the country, almost never a theater of social protest. According to a note sent to Fides, the discontent was palpable for days and on 7 November over three thousand demonstrators exploded, they started throwing stones and blocking the traffic while police officers fired tear gas. The demonstration, note sources of Fides, is not an isolated incident.
The Haitian government has had to face since last September, the protests against political administration, lack of public order and the high cost of living. Haiti must make terms with a significant delay in the election of the Senate (ten lawmakers), 142 councilors and 570 representatives of the National Assembly. The elections, which were to take place at the beginning of last year, have been constantly postponed. According to Fides sources, "violence in the slums of the country has been harboring for a long time, organized by non-identified sectors. The government intends to deal with it harshly". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/11/2013)
- 2014-12-09 - Foyer Bethlehem: “giving persons with disabilities what nature and human indifference have denied them”
- 2014-12-01 - A Commission to save the country from the crisis
- 2014-11-27 - The Church ready to intervene to ensure the country's political future
- 2014-10-16 - Haiti will ask for an extension to the Dominican Republic to regulate the "sans papiers"
- 2014-09-23 - Social movements denounce the failure of the UN Mission, protests in the streets
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The chikungunya virus attacks the poor, even the Church is committed to keeping the disease under control
- 2014-06-04 - Project "House built, hope fulfilled – Vita Ville" for many families, victims of the earthquake
- 2014-05-28 - Economic support for Haitian mothers who live in extreme poverty
- 2014-05-16 - Three years of Martelly’s presidency, among acclaim and requests for resignation