AFRICA/BURUNDI - "Healing the ills of Africa to prevent tragedies such as what happened in Lampedusa "
Bujumbura ( Agenzia Fides) - The fight against poverty and misery in Africa, which leads to tragedies such as what happened in Lampedusa (see Fides 04/10/2013), passes through good governance and proper exploitation of the enormous economic potential of the continent. This was confirmed by the participants at the annual meeting, held under the aegis of the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM), of the Commission "Justice and Peace" in Africa which was held in Bujumbura, capital of Burundi, from October 28 to November 2.
In the final statement sent to Fides Agency, the factors that contribute to impoverish African populations were denounced: human trafficking (which can even be the trafficking of organs); the growing insecurity in some Countries and regions of the continent (one recalls in particular the plight in the Central African Republic, the recurrence of conflicts in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the "fanaticism and religious extremism" in Nigeria, Mali, Egypt, Somalia, Kenya and Tanzania); the illegal exploitation of African natural resources, such as mining.
The representatives of the African Commission "Justice and Peace" finally express their concern for the management of the Nile River. The well-being of people and the countries bordering the Nile fundamentally depends on the River, and calls for "a patient and fruitful dialogue " in the management of this River of life. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides06/11/2013)
- 2015-07-16 - Doubts of the Burundian opposition regarding the mediation of Museveni
- 2015-07-13 - Arsenal of the rebels discovered, clashes in the north: confusing situation on the eve of the presidential vote
- 2015-07-06 - Rifts in the presidential party and the army on Nkurunziza's third term
- 2015-07-02 - More and more weapons circulate even among the opposition, a very worrying situation
- 2015-07-01 - Two hundred thousand Burundian refugees abroad, some priests forced to flee because of threats
- 2015-06-26 - Opposition announces the boycott of elections
- 2015-06-22 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – Fear is widespread as legislative elections approach
- 2015-06-16 - "The situation is blocked", say local sources
- 2015-06-11 - Three people killed in Bujumbura, but for the President the demonstrations have now finished
- 2015-06-01 - An assassination attempt foiled against the Archbishop of Bujumbura during the Marian procession