AFRICA/BURUNDI - "Healing the ills of Africa to prevent tragedies such as what happened in Lampedusa "
Bujumbura ( Agenzia Fides) - The fight against poverty and misery in Africa, which leads to tragedies such as what happened in Lampedusa (see Fides 04/10/2013), passes through good governance and proper exploitation of the enormous economic potential of the continent. This was confirmed by the participants at the annual meeting, held under the aegis of the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM), of the Commission "Justice and Peace" in Africa which was held in Bujumbura, capital of Burundi, from October 28 to November 2.
In the final statement sent to Fides Agency, the factors that contribute to impoverish African populations were denounced: human trafficking (which can even be the trafficking of organs); the growing insecurity in some Countries and regions of the continent (one recalls in particular the plight in the Central African Republic, the recurrence of conflicts in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the "fanaticism and religious extremism" in Nigeria, Mali, Egypt, Somalia, Kenya and Tanzania); the illegal exploitation of African natural resources, such as mining.
The representatives of the African Commission "Justice and Peace" finally express their concern for the management of the Nile River. The well-being of people and the countries bordering the Nile fundamentally depends on the River, and calls for "a patient and fruitful dialogue " in the management of this River of life. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides06/11/2013)
- 2015-11-19 - "Weak signs of hope thanks to pressure from China and Kenya for an inclusive dialogue"
- 2015-11-18 - Shooting during the night in Bujumbura
- 2015-11-16 - Shootings in Bujumbura, also in the central areas
- 2015-11-09 - A situation that seems beyond control
- 2015-11-06 - Burundi threatens the risk of a civil war
- 2015-10-29 - The situation is getting worse; UN and African Union open an investigation into the violations of human rights
- 2015-10-13 - Tension between Burundi and Rwanda: "there is a risk of an explosion in the Great Lakes region"
- 2015-09-25 - The control of rare Burundian earths behind the political crisis related to the third term of Nkurunziza?
- 2015-09-24 - The government rejects the invitation to dialogue "with all" addressed by the Bishops
- 2015-09-16 - UN warning: "The crisis in Burundi can trigger a broader regional conflict"