AFRICA/BURUNDI - "Healing the ills of Africa to prevent tragedies such as what happened in Lampedusa "
Bujumbura ( Agenzia Fides) - The fight against poverty and misery in Africa, which leads to tragedies such as what happened in Lampedusa (see Fides 04/10/2013), passes through good governance and proper exploitation of the enormous economic potential of the continent. This was confirmed by the participants at the annual meeting, held under the aegis of the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM), of the Commission "Justice and Peace" in Africa which was held in Bujumbura, capital of Burundi, from October 28 to November 2.
In the final statement sent to Fides Agency, the factors that contribute to impoverish African populations were denounced: human trafficking (which can even be the trafficking of organs); the growing insecurity in some Countries and regions of the continent (one recalls in particular the plight in the Central African Republic, the recurrence of conflicts in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the "fanaticism and religious extremism" in Nigeria, Mali, Egypt, Somalia, Kenya and Tanzania); the illegal exploitation of African natural resources, such as mining.
The representatives of the African Commission "Justice and Peace" finally express their concern for the management of the Nile River. The well-being of people and the countries bordering the Nile fundamentally depends on the River, and calls for "a patient and fruitful dialogue " in the management of this River of life. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides06/11/2013)
- 2015-05-21 - The Church cannot support an electoral process that is likely to divide citizens
- 2015-05-19 - After the failed coup, demonstrations resume against the third presidential term
- 2015-05-16 - Five radio stations attacked during violence over an attempted coup in Bujumbura
- 2015-05-15 - Coup failed: "The streets of Bujumbura are deserted and the national broadcaster is the only outlet still broadcasting"
- 2015-05-11 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – There are already more than 50,000 Burundian refugees in neighboring Countries
- 2015-05-08 - Difficult negotiations between the government and opposition to overcome the political crisis
- 2015-05-07 - "May elections be held" ask the Bishops, invoking the path of dialogue
- 2015-05-05 - The Constitutional Court approves third term for Nkurunziza, while protests continue
- 2015-05-04 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – Shooting in Bujumbura while protesters make their way to the center of the capital
- 2015-04-28 - Does one want to feed ethnic conflict again? Fear regarding rumors on the arrival of militias linked to power