AFRICA/BURUNDI - "Healing the ills of Africa to prevent tragedies such as what happened in Lampedusa "
Bujumbura ( Agenzia Fides) - The fight against poverty and misery in Africa, which leads to tragedies such as what happened in Lampedusa (see Fides 04/10/2013), passes through good governance and proper exploitation of the enormous economic potential of the continent. This was confirmed by the participants at the annual meeting, held under the aegis of the Symposium of Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar (SECAM), of the Commission "Justice and Peace" in Africa which was held in Bujumbura, capital of Burundi, from October 28 to November 2.
In the final statement sent to Fides Agency, the factors that contribute to impoverish African populations were denounced: human trafficking (which can even be the trafficking of organs); the growing insecurity in some Countries and regions of the continent (one recalls in particular the plight in the Central African Republic, the recurrence of conflicts in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the "fanaticism and religious extremism" in Nigeria, Mali, Egypt, Somalia, Kenya and Tanzania); the illegal exploitation of African natural resources, such as mining.
The representatives of the African Commission "Justice and Peace" finally express their concern for the management of the Nile River. The well-being of people and the countries bordering the Nile fundamentally depends on the River, and calls for "a patient and fruitful dialogue " in the management of this River of life. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides06/11/2013)
- 2014-12-10 - "Elections are an opportunity for the Country and not a step back" warn the Bishops
- 2014-09-11 - Missionaries killed: "We do not believe in the police’s version, however, we will continue with our mission", says a nun
- 2014-09-09 - "The murdered nuns will be buried in Africa: love to the very end” says former regional Xavarian superior
- 2014-09-08 - Three Xaverian Missionaries killed in Burundi: the mission is full of people anxious to express sympathy with the sisters
- 2014-07-08 - The 'untouchables' of Burundi still waiting for full integration
- 2014-05-08 - The President of the Episcopal Conference announces the Diocesan Synods in order "to strengthen unity and deepen faith"
- 2014-03-25 - Parliament rejects the Constitutional Revision
- 2014-03-18 - "We are very concerned about the growing tensions" says local Church sources to Fides
- 2013-11-28 - Great Lakes civil Society at a meeting to consolidate peace
- 2013-11-06 - "Healing the ills of Africa to prevent tragedies such as what happened in Lampedusa "