AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Parish priest brutally assaulted in Pretoria
Pretoria (Agenzia Fides) - "I cannot believe that anyone is capable of committing something so cruel to a priest. It is really shocking", said Mgr. William Matthew Slattery, Archbishop of Pretoria, after visiting Fr. Craigh Laubscher, parish priest of the John Fisher Catholic Church in Lynnwood, at Jacaranda Hospital, where he was admitted. On Sunday, November 3, the priest was attacked in front of the rectory by a man, who fiercely hit him with a hand drill and then tried to strangle him. Believing him dead, the assailant entered the priest’s home. A week ago the man had asked Fr. Craigh for help.
Fr. Craigh is well liked and respected by the parishioners who appreciate his availability towards everyone.
Fr. Chris Townsend , parish priest at Christ The King Parish Catholic Church in Queenswood, the church where Fr. Craigh was previously pastor said: "We are very concerned by this. As a priest you cannot turn away a person in need and this leaves us very vulnerable to predators like these. We have to do what we can to help others, no matter what. It’s a very difficult situation. We are praying for him to recover and our prayers will continue after that for clergymen around the world who face difficult situations".
Fr. Craigh’s conditions remain critical even if he is improving. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/11/2013)
- 2015-02-18 - Bishops: “No to human trafficking, abominable business and one of the most profitable”
- 2015-02-16 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Chaos in Parliament; after 20 years of democracy the nation deserves better the Catholic Bishops say
- 2015-01-29 - The Bishops: "We pay tribute to the consecrated who founded the local Church"
- 2014-11-28 - Bishops reaffirm that the ordination of women to the priesthood is not recognised in the Catholic Church
- 2014-09-30 - Prayers in South Africa for the recognition of the martyrdom of Benedict Daswa
- 2014-09-02 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – New National Director of the Pontifical Missionary Societies appointed
- 2014-08-21 - "In Gaza, in Iraq and in Syria, we are faced with stark and horrifying evidence of the moral bankruptcy of modern warfare", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-01 - Bishop of Rustenburg says thanks for the help given to the miners who have concluded the strike
- 2014-06-23 - An American missionary who dedicated her life to orphans in South Africa has been killed
- 2014-05-07 - " Be careful not to go back to new forms of racial discrimination" says Cardinal Napier to voters