ASIA/JORDAN - Don Orione Opera opens a Centre for Syrian refugees
Zarqa (Agenzia Fides) - Two hundred Syrian refugee families will soon find accommodation in the Family, Youth and Refugee Centre, a new reception structure in Zarqa (Jordan) set up by the Don Orione Opera. The building was originally designed as a hostel for students, and has been adapted to accommodate the Syrian families who fled the civil war. All the reception and assistance services -reports a statement of the Opera, sent to Fides Agency - are managed by Orionines volunteers with the coordination of Don Hani Jaamel, an Orione priest of Iraqi nationality.
In the city of Zarqa, orionines volunteers in collaboration with Caritas Jordan already assist one hundred Syrian families who fled the conflict providing them food, water and two coupons per month for living expenses and medical care. A generous work that fails to meet the refugee emergency: "The refugees who ask us for help", explains Fr. Hani " are more than we can support". This situation, however, does not cause discouragement: "We continue to work", adds the Iraqi priest "following the word of Jesus, trying to help everyone without distinction, and without ever getting tired". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/11/2013)
- 2015-11-16 - Christian women spread a manual on domestic violence
- 2015-09-16 - The Jordanian proposal: let us set aside the term "minority"
- 2015-09-15 - Social media: instrument of dialogue or religious hatred?
- 2015-07-03 - The UN decreases aid to Syrian refugees. The Director of Caritas Jordan: the great powers have created the catastrophe, and now they wash their hands
- 2015-05-21 - Educational project for young Christian refugees who have fled from north Iraq
- 2015-04-29 - The first "Lourdes Grotto" in the Hashemite Kingdom
- 2015-03-02 - The parish pastoral Councils answer the questions for the Synod on the family
- 2015-02-10 - CCSM denounces offensive drawings of Lord Jesus Christ on hookahs
- 2015-02-04 - Today masses and prayers in churches for the pilot burned alive by jihadists
- 2015-02-03 - Jordanian Minister: satirical cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad have nothing to do with Christianity