ASIA/JORDAN - Don Orione Opera opens a Centre for Syrian refugees
Zarqa (Agenzia Fides) - Two hundred Syrian refugee families will soon find accommodation in the Family, Youth and Refugee Centre, a new reception structure in Zarqa (Jordan) set up by the Don Orione Opera. The building was originally designed as a hostel for students, and has been adapted to accommodate the Syrian families who fled the civil war. All the reception and assistance services -reports a statement of the Opera, sent to Fides Agency - are managed by Orionines volunteers with the coordination of Don Hani Jaamel, an Orione priest of Iraqi nationality.
In the city of Zarqa, orionines volunteers in collaboration with Caritas Jordan already assist one hundred Syrian families who fled the conflict providing them food, water and two coupons per month for living expenses and medical care. A generous work that fails to meet the refugee emergency: "The refugees who ask us for help", explains Fr. Hani " are more than we can support". This situation, however, does not cause discouragement: "We continue to work", adds the Iraqi priest "following the word of Jesus, trying to help everyone without distinction, and without ever getting tired". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/11/2013)
- 2014-04-14 - The director of Caritas: among the refugees, the number of Christians increases
- 2014-03-29 - ASIA/JORDAN – The parish of Zarqa is the first to acquire a "solar energy system"
- 2014-02-27 - Tension with Israel over Holy Places, Archbishop Lahham: enough defiant acts
- 2013-12-12 - The Syrian refugees in the grip of cold weather and snow
- 2013-11-22 - Minister of Tourism to the Heads of Churches: promote pilgrimages to the Holy Places
- 2013-11-09 - The Director of Caritas: the refugee camp in Zaatari will become a "provisional city"
- 2013-11-06 - The Jesuits: online courses for refugees
- 2013-11-04 - Don Orione Opera opens a Centre for Syrian refugees
- 2013-10-30 - The leaders of Catholic schools: with the "Arab springs" negative impact on freedom of education
- 2013-10-24 - Patriarch Twal opens the Conference on the role of women in the Middle East