EUROPE/ITALY - FIRST LITURGICAL FEAST OF SAINT JOSEMARIA ESCRIVA WILL BE MARKED WITH SOLEMNITY ALL OVER THE WORLD AND A NEW WEB PAGE OFFERS INFORMATION ON THE SPIRITUALITY OF THE “SAINT OF EVERY DAY LIFE”
Rome (Fides Service) – Nine months after the canonisation of the Founder of Opus Dei, presided by Pope John Paul II on October 6 last year, 2002, the feast day of the new Saint June 26, the day he died in Rome in 1975, will be solemnly celebrated in various parts of the world. Bishop Javier EchevarrIa, Prelate of Opus Dei, will preside a special Mass in Rome at the parish of Saint JosemarIa Escrivá, and all over Italy 50 masses will be said in honour of Saint Josemaria. There will be solemn celebrations in Barbastro (Spain), where the saint was born and in the parish which bears his name. Similar celebrations will be presided by local Bishops in major European cities,.
In the Democratic Republic of Congo there will be two masses: in Kinshasa (presided by Cardinal Frederic Etsou) and in Lubumbashi. In Abidjan (Ivory Coast) an exhibition on the Founder of Opus Dei is on show at the Cultural Centre adjoining St Paul’s Cathedral. In Asia Bishop Paul Kim will preside a solemn Mass at "Hae Wha Dong" church in Seoul (Korea), and Archbishop Nicholas Chia will say a special Mass at "Holy Cross" church in Singapore. The new Saint will also be celebrated in Australia and New Zealand: at St. Mary's Cathedral Sydney (Archbishop George Pell) and at St. Patrick's Cathedral Melbourne (Archbishop Dennis Hart) as well as masses in various other towns. In the United States Cardinal Egan will say Mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral (New York) and Cardinal Keeler will celebrate at the National Marian Shrine in Washington. There will be many celebrations in Canada, including special masses in Toronto and Vancouver. In South America, special masses will be said in many countries: Brazil presided by Cardinal Claudio Hummes at Catedral da Se di Sao Paulo; Montevideo, San José de Costa Rica, Managua, Panama, San Juan de Puerto Rico, Santo Domingo, Bogota...
From June 26 a new web page www.josemariaescriva.info, will provide information on the life, teaching and writings of Saint Josemaria as well as testimony of members of Opus Dei all over the world. Through the Internet people will be able to hear the message left by Saint Josemaria who has helped hundreds of thousands to discover the joy of living as a true Christian. Initially the page will be in English, Spanish and Italian. (S.L.) (Agenzia Fides 25/06/2003 – lines 28; words 394)
- 2014-02-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure