AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting between the army and M23 have resumed
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Fighting between the Congolese army and the guerrillas of M23 after the suspension of talks in Kampala (see Fides 23/10/2013) have resumed. According to local sources of Fides clashes are concentrated in the Kamahoro, 25 km from Goma, capital of North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo).
This is the same place where in earlier clashes Congolese soldiers had inflicted heavy losses on the guerrillas. As reported by the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society of North Kivu, after this defeat the M23 had strengthened their positions in the nearby villages (see Fides 16/10/2013), with the support of the Rwandese and Ugandan troops that entered the territory of the DRC.
Yesterday, the civil society in North Kivu had launched the alarm about a possible attack on Rwanda (see Fides 24/10/2013) on Goma and Bukavu (the capital of South Kivu).
According to a source from the UN Stabilization Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO ), cited by Agence France Presse today 's clashes were provoked by the M23 and are not "skirmishes". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/10/2013)
- 2015-08-24 - Bishops' appeal to young Africans: "Stay in Africa to build a better continent"
- 2015-08-18 - After lengthy delay polling station distribution law approved
- 2015-08-10 - The Catholic Church celebrates 135 years of missions in the DRC
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue