AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting between the army and M23 have resumed
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Fighting between the Congolese army and the guerrillas of M23 after the suspension of talks in Kampala (see Fides 23/10/2013) have resumed. According to local sources of Fides clashes are concentrated in the Kamahoro, 25 km from Goma, capital of North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo).
This is the same place where in earlier clashes Congolese soldiers had inflicted heavy losses on the guerrillas. As reported by the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society of North Kivu, after this defeat the M23 had strengthened their positions in the nearby villages (see Fides 16/10/2013), with the support of the Rwandese and Ugandan troops that entered the territory of the DRC.
Yesterday, the civil society in North Kivu had launched the alarm about a possible attack on Rwanda (see Fides 24/10/2013) on Goma and Bukavu (the capital of South Kivu).
According to a source from the UN Stabilization Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO ), cited by Agence France Presse today 's clashes were provoked by the M23 and are not "skirmishes". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/10/2013)
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"
- 2014-09-02 - Dismay for the death, only months apart, of the two army officers who defeated M23