AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting between the army and M23 have resumed
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Fighting between the Congolese army and the guerrillas of M23 after the suspension of talks in Kampala (see Fides 23/10/2013) have resumed. According to local sources of Fides clashes are concentrated in the Kamahoro, 25 km from Goma, capital of North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo).
This is the same place where in earlier clashes Congolese soldiers had inflicted heavy losses on the guerrillas. As reported by the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society of North Kivu, after this defeat the M23 had strengthened their positions in the nearby villages (see Fides 16/10/2013), with the support of the Rwandese and Ugandan troops that entered the territory of the DRC.
Yesterday, the civil society in North Kivu had launched the alarm about a possible attack on Rwanda (see Fides 24/10/2013) on Goma and Bukavu (the capital of South Kivu).
According to a source from the UN Stabilization Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO ), cited by Agence France Presse today 's clashes were provoked by the M23 and are not "skirmishes". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/10/2013)
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"
- 2014-09-02 - Dismay for the death, only months apart, of the two army officers who defeated M23
- 2014-07-28 - It is necessary to vaccinate children against measles
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
- 2014-06-25 - "Address the problem of Rwandan Hutu militias once and for all" ask the missionaries