AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting between the army and M23 have resumed
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Fighting between the Congolese army and the guerrillas of M23 after the suspension of talks in Kampala (see Fides 23/10/2013) have resumed. According to local sources of Fides clashes are concentrated in the Kamahoro, 25 km from Goma, capital of North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo).
This is the same place where in earlier clashes Congolese soldiers had inflicted heavy losses on the guerrillas. As reported by the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society of North Kivu, after this defeat the M23 had strengthened their positions in the nearby villages (see Fides 16/10/2013), with the support of the Rwandese and Ugandan troops that entered the territory of the DRC.
Yesterday, the civil society in North Kivu had launched the alarm about a possible attack on Rwanda (see Fides 24/10/2013) on Goma and Bukavu (the capital of South Kivu).
According to a source from the UN Stabilization Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO ), cited by Agence France Presse today 's clashes were provoked by the M23 and are not "skirmishes". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/10/2013)
- 2015-05-22 - Civil society denounces the ambiguous role of the army in the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2015-05-18 - Prayers and mobilization of the population to demand an end of attacks by Ugandan rebels
- 2015-05-18 - More than a hundred women victims of rape in the attack in Kikamba
- 2015-05-05 - More than 7,000 Burundian asylum-seekers in South Kivu; UN and Caritas mobilized
- 2015-04-30 - African rebirth also passes through the media and Pan-African tourism
- 2015-04-27 - The United Nations Commission on Human Rights takes office, but repression of opponents continue
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections