AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting between the army and M23 have resumed
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Fighting between the Congolese army and the guerrillas of M23 after the suspension of talks in Kampala (see Fides 23/10/2013) have resumed. According to local sources of Fides clashes are concentrated in the Kamahoro, 25 km from Goma, capital of North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo).
This is the same place where in earlier clashes Congolese soldiers had inflicted heavy losses on the guerrillas. As reported by the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society of North Kivu, after this defeat the M23 had strengthened their positions in the nearby villages (see Fides 16/10/2013), with the support of the Rwandese and Ugandan troops that entered the territory of the DRC.
Yesterday, the civil society in North Kivu had launched the alarm about a possible attack on Rwanda (see Fides 24/10/2013) on Goma and Bukavu (the capital of South Kivu).
According to a source from the UN Stabilization Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO ), cited by Agence France Presse today 's clashes were provoked by the M23 and are not "skirmishes". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/10/2013)
- 2015-11-19 - Open discussion on the mission in Africa 50 years after the "Ad Gentes" apostolic decree
- 2015-11-16 - The Bishops: "National dialogue must respect the Constitution"
- 2015-11-05 - Civil society: "There are foreign jihadists in our region despite what the UN says"
- 2015-11-04 - Kidnappings: new plague in North Kivu: more than 600 seizures since the beginning of the year
- 2015-10-30 - Lack of funds put the elections at risk
- 2015-10-22 - Catholic Bishops disassociate from choice of presidency candidate for Independent National Election Commission
- 2015-10-21 - Three years after the disappearance of the three Congolese Assumptionists, no word on their fate
- 2015-10-20 - Religious confessions announce the rapid appointment of the new head of the Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-12 - Concern for the resignation of the President of the Independent Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-06 - First positive impact of the report submitted by Catholic organizations on the mine in Kibali