ASIA/INDONESIA - Reception centers for street children
Jakarta (Agenzia Fides) - The Provincial Government of Jakarta is planning reception centers for street children and victims of violence. The construction of safe houses for children is among the priorities of the local administration, as well as that of social institutions in order to meet their needs and requirements. According to reports from Antara News agency, the objective of the Government is that no child in Jakarta drops out of school to work as schooling is the main key to the psychological development of every child. The Indonesian capital is the most populous city in the Country, where 8 million people live and about 12,000 are children who survive on the streets. A study of the United Nations has estimated that 90% of these children end up wandering the streets of the city because of poor economic conditions in which their parents live. Non-governmental institutions and scholars of social issues reiterated that street children are abused and seen as a public nuisance, suffer verbal and physical abuse, and some are killed for drug reasons or prostitution. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 25/10/2013)
- 2014-12-11 - Indonesian Bishops and priests inspired by the Evangelii Gaudium in prayer and action
- 2014-12-04 - “God is present in the family”: joint Christmas Message from Catholic and Protestant leaders
- 2014-11-28 - Archbishop of Semarang: "Serve the common good, beyond religious belief"
- 2014-11-17 - The Bishops: not only tolerance but authentic fraternity
- 2014-11-11 - The Indonesian Catholics are inspired by the martyrdom of Mgr. Johannes Aerts
- 2014-11-06 - The Bishops: "A Church which 'goes forth' to meet the man of our time"
- 2014-10-27 - First Interreligious Congress dedicated to "true brotherhood"
- 2014-10-24 - The Church supports the campaign against mining exploitation in Flores
- 2014-10-07 - Assembly of diocesan priests: attention to formation in seminaries is urgently needed
- 2014-10-03 - Monument to St. Francis Xavier in the Moluccas, a symbol of peace and unity