AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Towards the Symposium on Theology India: the Church more present in different cultures
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - To evaluate, discern and reflect on what aspects of indigenous cultures can be incorporated in the practices of the Catholic religion: this is the orientation that guides the preparation of the Fifth Symposium on Theology India, as reported in a note sent to Fides, the Bishop of San Cristóbal de Las Casas (Chiapas, Mexico) His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, who is in charge of the Mexican Episcopal Conference for the indigenous pastoral.
In a communication sent to some media reports, the Archbishop speaks of the meeting that will take place in Bogota, Colombia, in May, 2014, sponsored by CELAM (Latin American Episcopal Council), where a group of consultants of the organism will discuss Theology India, "with the objective of deepening the doctrinal content of that theology, in order to clarify several aspects in the light of the Word of God". He then adds: "We Bishops are concerned that some despise and demonize indigenous cultures, without knowing them well; they even want everything to do with the indigenous world disappears from the social and ecclesiastical history".
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel stresses that "in these meetings one tries to make a judgment regarding the customs, rituals and indigenous myths", whilst recognizing "the necessity of the Catholic Church to be more present in different cultures, indigenous, mestizo and postmodern, as an expression of a new evangelizatio , and the constant urge to assist indigenous peoples". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/10/2013)
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors