AMERICA/MEXICO - 870 million people worldwide suffer from chronic malnutrition
Puebla (Agenzia Fides) - Only joint and shared iniatives can find a solution to the increasing scourge of hunger, malnutrition and poverty. This is what was declared, on the occasion of World Food Day which has just been celebrated, by the Mexican Episcopal Conference (CEM) in a statement sent to Fides Agency, in which attention is drawn to a greater awareness of the world food problem. "Only together - the statement said - we will be able to build government, economic and social systems able to promote a culture that respects environment, public health, education and opportunities for all through promoting responsible, participatory and supportive attitudes". The statement, signed by the auxiliary bishop of Puebla and Secretary General of CEM, Msg. Eugenio Lira Rugarcía, continues to say that the Catholic Church in Mexico has expressed its concern regarding the serious food problem that affects the entire planet. Mgr. Lira said, moreover, that national and international laws, institutions, organizations, programs, investment of resources, adequate accompaniment in the processes of production and distribution, must be focused on the person. In addition, it is necessary to help curb the rise of speculative activities and the hoarding of cultivable areas that, in different regions, force farmers to abandon their lands, since they alone are not able to assert their rights. According to some studies, the trend towards speculation, hoarding of cultivable areas and the lack of policies and institutions related to agriculture and food systems, have resulted in a state of chronic malnutrition for 870 million people worldwide. The theme of World Food Day this year was: "Sustainable food systems for food security and nutrition". (AP) ( Agenzia Fides 17/10/2013)
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children