AFRICA - The Bishops of North Africa: "Our Countries have also become places of immigration"
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - "Pope Francis’ appeal to go to the "suburbs" urges us to live the call of the Incarnation in humility, service and with hope" say the members of the Conférence des Evêques de la Région Nord de l' Afrique (CERNA) in a statement sent to Fides Agency, published at the end of their meeting, which was held in Rome from October 6 to 9.
The Bishops of North Africa, who on October 9 attended the general Audience with the Holy Father, recalled that Francis Pope encouraged them to "consolidate fraternal relations with Muslims".
During their meeting the participants shared the experiences that the individual churches in the various Countries of the region live. The lack of security in Libya "has meant that most of the religious communities called to work in public health by the Libyan authorities have been asked to leave the Country". The Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, Mgr. Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, said: "I never thought that Libya might one day live such a situation (...). For me it is a terrible suffering. Even if one does not understand God’s plan, I try to persevere in hope, with my brothers and sisters who have remained".
There are encouraging signs from other North African countries such as the arrival of various religious communities in the Algerian diocese of Laghouat - Ghardaia, the presence of numerous Franciscan friars, of the Daughter of Charity and of Carmelites in the Moroccan diocese of Rabat (that also signed an agreement with the Franciscan Custody), and the creation of the Ecumenical Institute of Theology Al Mowafaqa on behalf of this diocese and the Evangelical Church of Morocco.
On the issue of immigration, especially in light of the recent tragedy in Lampedusa, CERNA stresses the need to "move beyond basic assistance that remains indispensable in case of urgency, because one has to consider the phenomenon of migration in its entirety, its causes, its effects, its consequences, and to discern the right means to support the migrants". "In this regard we note that our Countries have also become countries of immigration, and not just the Countries of emigration and transit", the statement concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/10/2013)
- 2013-12-02 AFRICA - No discrimination of AIDS patients; emphasis on "miraculous" solutions
- 2013-11-20 AFRICA - Thirty years of the Church’s commitment in Africa against AIDS
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA - Typhoon in the Philippines: solidarity in Africa springs into action
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA - The wishes of the Catholic Church in Africa to the Muslim faithful for the feast of Aid El Adha
- 2013-10-14 AFRICA - The Bishops of North Africa: "Our Countries have also become places of immigration"
- 2013-10-04 AFRICA - Lampedusa : "To fight against traffickers and help migrant Countries" proposes Mgr.Bertin
- 2013-09-06 AFRICA - "Pray for Peace also through social networks" the South African Bishops’ appeal
- 2013-07-09 AFRICA - Appeal for Central Africa by Caritas Africa
- 2013-04-04 AFRICA - Africa among the continents most affected by the scourge of landmines
- 2013-03-27 AFRICA - Crisis in Central Africa repercussions in Chad and South Africa