EUROPE/GERMANY - Syrian Refugees in the Benedictine abbey of Weingarten
Weingarten (Agenzia Fides) - The Benedictine Abbey of Weingarten, in Baden-Wuerttemberg (southwest Germany), may soon welcome Syrian refugees: As reported to Fides Agency, the proposal was launched by Mgr. Gebhard Fürst, Bishop of Rottenburg, in response to Pope Francis’ appeal. The historic Benedictine monastery is currently empty and the local Church could temporarily welcome refugees. The abbey stands on the hill dedicated to St. Martin who - said the Bishop - is revered as the patron saint of beggars, prisoners and displaced persons and of every person who is in need. Mgr. Fuerst pointed out that the concept of solidarity today has expanded to the "sharing of a living space". Today, "we must take care of people who have lost everything, who are traumatized and in need of care", the Bishop said, recalling the commitment of the institutions. For Don Ekkehard Schmid, pastor of the parish of St. Martin, adjacent to the monastery, "the Bishop’s project is a great suggestion". Soon the monastery could accommodate a limited number of refugees, destined to increase in the future. (MS -PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/10/2013)
- 2015-10-09 - Scalabrini Fest 2015: migration characterizes the history of humanity
- 2015-03-06 - "Witnesses of Christ": new edition of the German martyrology of the twentieth century with 60 missionaries killed
- 2014-12-19 - The Star Singers want to "ensure healthy nutrition for children in the Philippines and around the world"
- 2014-10-11 - Newness of the Blessed Scalabrini in the Migration world today
- 2013-12-18 - EUROPE/GERMANY – From the Star Singers: "a blessing for refugee children in Malawi and around the world"
- 2013-10-14 - Syrian Refugees in the Benedictine abbey of Weingarten
- 2013-10-09 - "Exodus for Peace": The Contribution of the Scalabrini Family on a journey with migrants and refugees
- 2012-12-20 - From the Star Singers: a blessing for Tanzania
- 2012-10-10 - Experience communion among differences is possible if we remain in Christ, as the branches and the vine
- 2011-12-21 - "Knock on doors, insist on your rights": 54th Campaign of the Star Singers (Sternsinger) who have chosen Nicaragua as this year’s symbol country