AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Priests "expelled" by the guerrillas, the complaint of the Bishop
Puerto Guzmán (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of Mocoa - Sibundoy (Colombia), His Exc. Mgr. Luis Alberto Parra Mora, complained to a local radio station that the guerrillas have expelled some of his priests from rural areas of low Putumayo, in particular those working in the rural area of Puerto Guzmán and Puerto Leguizam , warning that the guerrillas are the only people who can frequent the area. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by Radio Caracol, there are now six priests who have had to leave the region in recent weeks, and the guerrillas allow their presence only in the urban area.
Mgr. Parra Mora called on the departmental government and security forces to take the necessary steps to allow the priests to continue their pastoral mission in that area.
Colombia is experiencing a particular climate of tension because of the "peace talks" taking place in Cuba. Dialogue is carried out among members of the government and representatives of the FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia), but also the Catholic Church, with its countless testimonies, is promoting a wave of public interventions in favor of peace (see Fides 03/10/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/10/2013)
- 2014-10-17 - "We hope peace is near" says Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-10-08 - The Auxiliary Bishop of Medellin: "We cannot get used to violence"
- 2014-10-06 - Another priest killed for armed robbery
- 2014-10-02 - Members of the third delegation of victims set off for Havana to meet with FARC representatives
- 2014-09-30 - Working with the indigenous open to inculturation: the commitment of the Apostolic Vicar of Mitu
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC