AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Priests "expelled" by the guerrillas, the complaint of the Bishop
Puerto Guzmán (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of Mocoa - Sibundoy (Colombia), His Exc. Mgr. Luis Alberto Parra Mora, complained to a local radio station that the guerrillas have expelled some of his priests from rural areas of low Putumayo, in particular those working in the rural area of Puerto Guzmán and Puerto Leguizam , warning that the guerrillas are the only people who can frequent the area. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by Radio Caracol, there are now six priests who have had to leave the region in recent weeks, and the guerrillas allow their presence only in the urban area.
Mgr. Parra Mora called on the departmental government and security forces to take the necessary steps to allow the priests to continue their pastoral mission in that area.
Colombia is experiencing a particular climate of tension because of the "peace talks" taking place in Cuba. Dialogue is carried out among members of the government and representatives of the FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia), but also the Catholic Church, with its countless testimonies, is promoting a wave of public interventions in favor of peace (see Fides 03/10/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/10/2013)
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country
- 2014-06-28 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPs are increasing: the Church appeals to the authorities to resolve the crisis
- 2014-06-27 - The Church with regards to peace talks: Consider the pain of the victims
- 2014-06-20 - "The Church has helped me to find a land": in Colombia 5.5 million internally displaced persons
- 2014-06-14 - off in Colombia, the Church calls for dialogue and mutual respect