AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Priests "expelled" by the guerrillas, the complaint of the Bishop
Puerto Guzmán (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of Mocoa - Sibundoy (Colombia), His Exc. Mgr. Luis Alberto Parra Mora, complained to a local radio station that the guerrillas have expelled some of his priests from rural areas of low Putumayo, in particular those working in the rural area of Puerto Guzmán and Puerto Leguizam , warning that the guerrillas are the only people who can frequent the area. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by Radio Caracol, there are now six priests who have had to leave the region in recent weeks, and the guerrillas allow their presence only in the urban area.
Mgr. Parra Mora called on the departmental government and security forces to take the necessary steps to allow the priests to continue their pastoral mission in that area.
Colombia is experiencing a particular climate of tension because of the "peace talks" taking place in Cuba. Dialogue is carried out among members of the government and representatives of the FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia), but also the Catholic Church, with its countless testimonies, is promoting a wave of public interventions in favor of peace (see Fides 03/10/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/10/2013)
- 2014-11-20 - Archbishop Monsalve Mejia: "The general kidnapped will soon be released"
- 2014-11-19 - Every hour two children are victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-11-18 - The Church condemns the abduction of the General and urges to continue peace talks
- 2014-11-17 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Peace talks have been suspended after general abducted
- 2014-11-13 - From victims of violence to the protagonists of peace
- 2014-11-12 - At least 19 countries around the world recruit child soldiers
- 2014-11-06 - "Cali is suffering a pandemic of violence", denounces Mgr. Monsalve Mejía
- 2014-10-29 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – There is a risk of an outbreak of Chikungunya and Dengue: 4,500 cases in the last two months
- 2014-10-29 - The Colombian dioceses ask to defend the rights of the indigenous peoples of the Pacific
- 2014-10-17 - "We hope peace is near" says Cardinal Salazar Gómez