AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Priests "expelled" by the guerrillas, the complaint of the Bishop
Puerto Guzmán (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of Mocoa - Sibundoy (Colombia), His Exc. Mgr. Luis Alberto Parra Mora, complained to a local radio station that the guerrillas have expelled some of his priests from rural areas of low Putumayo, in particular those working in the rural area of Puerto Guzmán and Puerto Leguizam , warning that the guerrillas are the only people who can frequent the area. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by Radio Caracol, there are now six priests who have had to leave the region in recent weeks, and the guerrillas allow their presence only in the urban area.
Mgr. Parra Mora called on the departmental government and security forces to take the necessary steps to allow the priests to continue their pastoral mission in that area.
Colombia is experiencing a particular climate of tension because of the "peace talks" taking place in Cuba. Dialogue is carried out among members of the government and representatives of the FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia), but also the Catholic Church, with its countless testimonies, is promoting a wave of public interventions in favor of peace (see Fides 03/10/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/10/2013)
- 2014-04-12 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA –"Schools of reconciliation" are born: initiative of the Church for young people
- 2014-04-09 - Respect for human rights for the victims of landmines
- 2014-04-03 - Indigenous children continue to die of hunger and chronic malnutrition
- 2014-03-31 - First study on hidden child victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-03-31 - Peace talks: conclusion of the 22nd session
- 2014-02-27 - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Dialogue between two parties on equal terms, not between weak and powerful
- 2014-02-24 - Colombians deported from Venezuela: Catholic Bishops in border area dioceses work to provide assistance and promote peace
- 2014-02-21 - The army must be armored against corruption
- 2014-02-20 - The children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu continue to die of hunger