AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Priests "expelled" by the guerrillas, the complaint of the Bishop
Puerto Guzmán (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of Mocoa - Sibundoy (Colombia), His Exc. Mgr. Luis Alberto Parra Mora, complained to a local radio station that the guerrillas have expelled some of his priests from rural areas of low Putumayo, in particular those working in the rural area of Puerto Guzmán and Puerto Leguizam , warning that the guerrillas are the only people who can frequent the area. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by Radio Caracol, there are now six priests who have had to leave the region in recent weeks, and the guerrillas allow their presence only in the urban area.
Mgr. Parra Mora called on the departmental government and security forces to take the necessary steps to allow the priests to continue their pastoral mission in that area.
Colombia is experiencing a particular climate of tension because of the "peace talks" taking place in Cuba. Dialogue is carried out among members of the government and representatives of the FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia), but also the Catholic Church, with its countless testimonies, is promoting a wave of public interventions in favor of peace (see Fides 03/10/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/10/2013)
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors