ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Philippine Church reflects on the "new evangelization" in Asia
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - With a remarkable international conference, dedicated to the "new evangelization" and proclaimed by the Archbishop of Manila, Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle, the Church of the Philippines stops to reflect on its unique contribution to the work of "new evangelization", especially in Asia. As announced in a note sent to Fides, the conference , which will be attended by about 5,000 representatives from dioceses all over the country and from other Asian countries, will be held from October 16 to 18 at the University of Santo Tomas in Manila and will be structured in three intense days, full of catechesis, workshops, discussions". This is the culminating event of the Year of Faith in the Archdiocese of Manila", explained Cardinal Tagle, who recalled how "the Church in the Philippines has always had a prominent missionary role in Asia. For this reason we have invited Bishops, priests and representatives of other Asian Churches ", such as delegates from Taiwan, Vietnam, Myanmar and Brunei.
According to the schedule of the conference activities, sent to Fides, the first day (16 October ) is entitled "Come and see" (from John 1, 39) and focuses on the theme of the encounter with God. The channels to meet God are the Word of God, prayer, the paths of beauty and art, but also "new media". The second day (October 17 , titled "Stay with us" (Luke 24:29), focuses on places of communion and renewal in the church, such as: integral formation, liturgy, empowerment of the laity, consecrated life, service to the poor, family, youth, ecumenism and interreligious dialogue, mission ad gentes.
On the final day of the conference (October 18 ), the theme is "Duc in altum" (Lk 5:4) and will speak specifically of the mission. Cardinal Tagle will hold a "lectio magistralis" regarding "The missionary dimension of evangelization", which will then be the object of comparison for groups of Catholic catechists and educators; laity and ecclesial communities; Caritas workers; families; pastors and community leaders; the consecrated; youth. The conference well end with a solemn Eucharist in which those present will renew their baptismal promises, and a procession through the streets of Manila will be held. There will also be a message from Pope Francis. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 09/10/2013)
- 2014-03-04 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Bishops' message for Lent: "Poverty dehumanizes the country"
- 2014-02-20 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The commitment of the Churches for AIDS patients
- 2014-02-07 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Simple boats transformed into mobile clinics to deliver humanitarian and medical aid
- 2014-01-14 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Thousands of children are ready to go back to school to begin a process of recovery towards normality
- 2014-01-14 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Superior General OMI: "With Msg. Quevedo, let us look at the Church of the poor"
- 2014-01-08 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - An Interfaith Council established by the Commune of Zamboanga City
- 2013-12-20 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Christmas for refugees of Typhoon Haiyan, between hunger and risk of child abuse
- 2013-12-18 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Protecting the rights of vulnerable children and help them return to school
- 2013-12-17 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - National Meeting for the 50th anniversary of Pacem in Terris
- 2013-12-13 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Church to the President: Rethink reclamations