EUROPE/ARMENIA - The victims of the Armenian genocide might be canonized
Yerevan (Agenzia Fides) - Nearly a hundred years after the Armenian genocide - which falls in 2015 - the Synod of Bishops of the Armenian Apostolic Church has put at the center of common reflection the proposal of canonization for all the victims of the "Great Evil" perpetrated in the territories of Turkey in 1915.
As reported to Fides, the Synod, held from September 24 to 27 at the Patriarchal See of Echmiadzin (situated 20 kilometers from the Armenian capital Yerevan) brought together for the first time after 6 centuries all the Apostolic Armenian Bishops, as well as those belonging to the Catholicate of Echmiadzin (governed by Patriarch Karekin II, the highest authority of the Armenian apostolic Christianity) and those related to Catholicate of the great House of Cilicia (governed by the Catholicate Aram I, based in Lebanon).
"The possible canonization of the victims of the Armenian genocide is being studied, but it certainly was one of the most interesting points addressed during the recent Synod" confirms Father Georges Dankaye to Fides Agency, rector of the Armenian College in Rome and the Procurator of the Armenian Catholic Church to the Holy See. "Take into account" adds Fr. Dankaye "that in the Armenian Apostolic Church the last saints were proclaimed in the VI century". In this regard, among the issues to be explored there is also that of a precise definition of the procedures for the canonization concerning persons who have suffered martyrdom. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 3/10/213)
- 2015-09-25 - The events on the centenary of the Armenian Genocide followed by more than a billion viewers
- 2015-04-24 - Maronite Patriarch: they avoid naming the Armenian genocide for fear of legal consequences
- 2015-03-25 - Armenian Parliament votes a statement condemning the Assyrian and Greek Genocides
- 2015-02-13 - The Armenian parliament is studying a statement condemning the Assyrian and Greek Genocides
- 2015-02-04 - The victims of the Genocide will be proclaimed saints by the Armenian Apostolic Church on April 23
- 2014-10-15 - Armenian and Syrian Orthodox Patriarchs: Recognize the Armenian and Assyrian Genocide
- 2014-03-04 - Major exhibit on Armenian Genocide available online
- 2014-02-04 - Initiatives in support of Armenian refugees who fled from Syria
- 2013-10-03 - The victims of the Armenian genocide might be canonized
- 2013-02-23 - The “righteous” in the Armenian genocide