AFRICA/ZAMBIA - "Do we still have a functioning state? " Asks Caritas
Lusaka (Agenzia Fides) - "Do we still have a functioning state?". Is the title of the statement sent to Fides Agency by Caritas Zambia in which concern about the deterioration of the state functions in the country are expressed.
"The level of chaos, hooliganism and lawlessness in Zambia has reached such unprecedented levels that one would be right to question whether there is still a functioning government in our Country", the document states.
"The dangerous part of this situation is that the political party in power, the Patriotic Front (PF), which in 2011 was elected by the people to guarantee their rights, peace and security, is deeply at the center of these problems", emphasizes the statement.
Squabbles currently going on in the PF can no longer be looked at as a mere intra party squabbles that should not concern anyone who is not a PF member. The "disruption of normal life, violence against innocent people and the stealing of private property are not the reasons why Zambians elected the PF Party in 2011". "All this is happening in an environment where the majority poor can hardly have access to food, health care and jobs".
"There is clearly a lack of leadership in the ruling party that could have forestalled the current problems. Political leaders themselves are at the center of confusion".
The illegal occupation of land by people linked to the Patriotic Front, the controversy concerning the non-approval of the law on freedom of expression and the postponed approval of the new Constitution are increasing the tension in the Country. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/10/2013 )
- 2014-04-08 - Almost 40% of infant mortality rate is due to malaria
- 2014-03-10 - Support to give strength to the women of Chisitu
- 2014-02-21 - AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Let's fulfill the aspirations of those who fought for the independence of building a more just Country
- 2014-01-25 - Bishops: "Respect democracy"
- 2014-01-09 - After 50 years of independence a proper Constitution focused on popular sovereignty is needed
- 2013-10-02 - "Do we still have a functioning state? " Asks Caritas
- 2013-09-16 - The right to a better education, better teachers and beautiful classrooms
- 2013-08-31 - AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Death of Cardinal Mazombwe, Archbishop Emeritus of Lusaka
- 2013-08-02 - Mothers manage the first kindergarten in the Chipata area
- 2013-06-13 - "The Constitution cannot be eaten, but can ensure food on our tables"