AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Today the funeral of the two murdered priests
Cali (Agenzia Fides) – The Archbishop of Cali, His Exc. Mgr. Darío de Jesús Monsalve, strongly denounced the violence against the priests, after the murder of the priest and the curate of the parish of San Sebastián Roldanillo, which took place during the night between Friday 27 and Saturday, September 28 and described the murder as an act of sacrilege. "We are dismayed because this crime is not only a violation of the right to life but also a serious sacrilege that affects the whole community of believers and Catholics", the Archbishop said, asking for the support of the entire Catholic community to bring forward the campaign in favor of disarmament.
The note sent to Fides Agency also refers to the statements of the Chief of Police of Valle del Cauca, Mariano Botero, according to whom most likely the murderers, at least two, hid in the parish church before closure and then entered the parsonage, with the intent to steal money.
The two priests, who belonged to the Diocese of Cartago are Fr. Luis Bernardo Echeverry Chavarriaga, pastor of the parish of San Sebastian de Roldanillo, 69, and his vicar, Fr. Héctor Fabio Cabrera Morales, who was only 27 years old and had been ordained last year.
The funeral will be held today in the same parish of San Sebastián and will be presided by His Exc. Mgr. José Alejandro Castaño Arbelaez, Bishop of Cartago. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/09/2013)
- 2014-11-27 - Hunger and chronic malnutrition cause the death of a child every 33 hours
- 2014-11-26 - Sexual violence on women: a forgotten medical emergency
- 2014-11-26 - Peace talks in Cuba must continue
- 2014-11-21 - The request to continue peace talks: "Do not destroy the hope of Colombians"
- 2014-11-20 - Archbishop Monsalve Mejia: "The general kidnapped will soon be released"
- 2014-11-19 - Every hour two children are victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-11-18 - The Church condemns the abduction of the General and urges to continue peace talks
- 2014-11-17 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Peace talks have been suspended after general abducted
- 2014-11-13 - From victims of violence to the protagonists of peace
- 2014-11-12 - At least 19 countries around the world recruit child soldiers