AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Today the funeral of the two murdered priests
Cali (Agenzia Fides) – The Archbishop of Cali, His Exc. Mgr. Darío de Jesús Monsalve, strongly denounced the violence against the priests, after the murder of the priest and the curate of the parish of San Sebastián Roldanillo, which took place during the night between Friday 27 and Saturday, September 28 and described the murder as an act of sacrilege. "We are dismayed because this crime is not only a violation of the right to life but also a serious sacrilege that affects the whole community of believers and Catholics", the Archbishop said, asking for the support of the entire Catholic community to bring forward the campaign in favor of disarmament.
The note sent to Fides Agency also refers to the statements of the Chief of Police of Valle del Cauca, Mariano Botero, according to whom most likely the murderers, at least two, hid in the parish church before closure and then entered the parsonage, with the intent to steal money.
The two priests, who belonged to the Diocese of Cartago are Fr. Luis Bernardo Echeverry Chavarriaga, pastor of the parish of San Sebastian de Roldanillo, 69, and his vicar, Fr. Héctor Fabio Cabrera Morales, who was only 27 years old and had been ordained last year.
The funeral will be held today in the same parish of San Sebastián and will be presided by His Exc. Mgr. José Alejandro Castaño Arbelaez, Bishop of Cartago. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/09/2013)
- 2015-02-21 - Lent: multimedia “On the way to Easter”
- 2015-02-10 - The proposal of the FARC divides public opinion
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices