AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Today the funeral of the two murdered priests
Cali (Agenzia Fides) – The Archbishop of Cali, His Exc. Mgr. Darío de Jesús Monsalve, strongly denounced the violence against the priests, after the murder of the priest and the curate of the parish of San Sebastián Roldanillo, which took place during the night between Friday 27 and Saturday, September 28 and described the murder as an act of sacrilege. "We are dismayed because this crime is not only a violation of the right to life but also a serious sacrilege that affects the whole community of believers and Catholics", the Archbishop said, asking for the support of the entire Catholic community to bring forward the campaign in favor of disarmament.
The note sent to Fides Agency also refers to the statements of the Chief of Police of Valle del Cauca, Mariano Botero, according to whom most likely the murderers, at least two, hid in the parish church before closure and then entered the parsonage, with the intent to steal money.
The two priests, who belonged to the Diocese of Cartago are Fr. Luis Bernardo Echeverry Chavarriaga, pastor of the parish of San Sebastian de Roldanillo, 69, and his vicar, Fr. Héctor Fabio Cabrera Morales, who was only 27 years old and had been ordained last year.
The funeral will be held today in the same parish of San Sebastián and will be presided by His Exc. Mgr. José Alejandro Castaño Arbelaez, Bishop of Cartago. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/09/2013)
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"