AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Today the funeral of the two murdered priests
Cali (Agenzia Fides) – The Archbishop of Cali, His Exc. Mgr. Darío de Jesús Monsalve, strongly denounced the violence against the priests, after the murder of the priest and the curate of the parish of San Sebastián Roldanillo, which took place during the night between Friday 27 and Saturday, September 28 and described the murder as an act of sacrilege. "We are dismayed because this crime is not only a violation of the right to life but also a serious sacrilege that affects the whole community of believers and Catholics", the Archbishop said, asking for the support of the entire Catholic community to bring forward the campaign in favor of disarmament.
The note sent to Fides Agency also refers to the statements of the Chief of Police of Valle del Cauca, Mariano Botero, according to whom most likely the murderers, at least two, hid in the parish church before closure and then entered the parsonage, with the intent to steal money.
The two priests, who belonged to the Diocese of Cartago are Fr. Luis Bernardo Echeverry Chavarriaga, pastor of the parish of San Sebastian de Roldanillo, 69, and his vicar, Fr. Héctor Fabio Cabrera Morales, who was only 27 years old and had been ordained last year.
The funeral will be held today in the same parish of San Sebastián and will be presided by His Exc. Mgr. José Alejandro Castaño Arbelaez, Bishop of Cartago. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/09/2013)
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors
- 2015-04-16 - Eleven soldiers killed, the Church asks for a definitive cease-fire
- 2015-04-01 - Special care for children infected with chikungunya
- 2015-03-30 - Joy in the suffering: Sincelejo welcomes the new Bishop remembering the pastor killed
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue