AFRICA/KENYA - Controversy over the assault at Westgate
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) – There is growing controversy in Kenya in the aftermath of the dramatic attack at the Westgate Mall in Nairobi by a group linked to the movement of the Somali Shabaab.
The security forces are being accused for how they handled the situation, which saw several police and army units operate on their own without any real coordination. The lack of cooperation between the police and the military even caused the death of the head of the anti-terrorism police mistakenly killed by the army.
At the moment, the provisional toll of the terrorist act is of 61 civilians and 6 members of the security forces were killed. The Red Cross said 71 people are still missing and may be under the rubble. The Kenyan authorities announced the arrest of a dozen people in connection with the assault against Westegate .
The incident aroused great emotion in the Country. The religious members of the Association of Consecrated Women in Eastern and Central Africa (ACWECA) and the Association of Sisterhood in Kenya (AOSK) have sponsored a procession of prayer on September 25 in memory of the victims and for the healing of the wounded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2013)
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana