AFRICA/KENYA - Controversy over the assault at Westgate
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) – There is growing controversy in Kenya in the aftermath of the dramatic attack at the Westgate Mall in Nairobi by a group linked to the movement of the Somali Shabaab.
The security forces are being accused for how they handled the situation, which saw several police and army units operate on their own without any real coordination. The lack of cooperation between the police and the military even caused the death of the head of the anti-terrorism police mistakenly killed by the army.
At the moment, the provisional toll of the terrorist act is of 61 civilians and 6 members of the security forces were killed. The Red Cross said 71 people are still missing and may be under the rubble. The Kenyan authorities announced the arrest of a dozen people in connection with the assault against Westegate .
The incident aroused great emotion in the Country. The religious members of the Association of Consecrated Women in Eastern and Central Africa (ACWECA) and the Association of Sisterhood in Kenya (AOSK) have sponsored a procession of prayer on September 25 in memory of the victims and for the healing of the wounded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/09/2013)
- 2015-05-30 - Greater awareness is needed for the treatment of cholera and diarrhea
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food