AFRICA/EGYPT - Egyptian NGOs: no to the "guaranteed electoral quotas" for the Copts
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Egyptian Center for Developement Studies and Human Rights - NGO close to the Coptic Orthodox Church - has asked that the forthcoming elections are celebrated by putting aside the quota system of seats reserved for Christians. In a statement issued on Sunday, September 22, the organization reiterated its opposition to the mechanism in force even in the last election, which brought to power the Muslim Brotherhood Party and President Mohamed Morsi, now deposed.
According to the organization, the practice of reserving seats in Parliament to some social groups defined on the basis of religion contradicts the principle of equality among citizens that must be guaranteed by the new Constitution, on which 50 members of a Constitutional Commission has been working since last 8 September. According to the leaders of the Centre, the system of quotas also contradicts the hope of giving life in Egypt to the rule of law, free from sectarianism. In the pronouncement of the NGO the definition of the Copts as a minority is rejected: the Copts - recalls the declaration - are part of the fabric of the Nation.
Even the Bishop of Minya of the Catholic Copts Botros Fahim Awad Hanna reported to Fides Agency his opposition to the system of quotas, which in his opinion "favors the division of the Country on sectarian basis". According to Anba Botros, "Everything must be placed under a law that guarantees all citizens equal rights and aid to select competent people for political activity, regardless of their confession and religious practice". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 23/09/2013).
- 2014-04-16 - Candidates Sabbahi and al-Sisi at the Easter Vigil to be celebrated by Coptic Pope Tawadros
- 2014-03-31 - The false accusations against St. Catherine's Monastery have been rejected
- 2014-03-29 - Clashes after the Islamist assault on a church. Four dead
- 2014-03-26 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Board of inquiry: violence against Copts continues
- 2014-03-25 - Coptic Catholic Bishop on the sentences regarding the Muslim Brotherhood: the Church is always against the death penalty
- 2014-03-24 - Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Arab Spring" was actually a winter
- 2014-03-06 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
- 2014-03-01 - 62nd Catholic Festival of Egyptian Cinema opening ceremony
- 2014-02-25 - AFRICA/EGYPT – New rules for election of Orthodox Coptic Pope examined by civil authorities
- 2014-02-25 - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli