AFRICA/EGYPT - Copts, study seminars on the constitutional reform are about to begin
Cairo ( Agenzia Fides) – The first study seminars organized by the Coptic Orthodox Cultural Center on the constitutional review process launched to reform the Constitution approved during Morsi’s government is scheduled for Sunday, September 22 at 7 p.m.. The Coptic Orthodox Cultural Center is presided by Bishop Jeremiah Armiah, former secretary of the Patriarch Shenouda III. The seminars will focus on all the controversial points of the Constitution already at the center of public debate. Yesterday Ayman Ramzy Nakha, representative of a group of Egyptian atheists, reported that a letter from his organization was sent to the Constituent Committee asking for the abolition of Article 2, which recognizes Islam as the State religion and the Sharia as a source of the legislation. On the other side, on Monday, 16 September, the representative of the Salafi Party in the Constituent Committee, Younes Makhioun, abandoned the working session of the constituent Committee that had rejected his proposal to include the expression "rules of Sharia", instead of the - more general - which refers to "the principles of Sharia" as the source of inspiration of the legislation. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 20/09/2013)
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays
- 2015-04-28 - Sinai jihadist groups threaten Copts for their support to President al-Sisi