AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Patriarchate: no one can justify war under the pretext of defending the Christians
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "No one can justify military intervention in the Middle East under the pretext of defending the Christians. This is now valid in Syria. But even in the dramatic moment experienced by Egypt, the exploitation of those asking the international community to intervene under the guise of protecting the Christians, affected by the sectarian fanaticism must be rejected". This is what was said to Fides Agency by Fr.Hani Bakhoum, secretary of the patriarchate of Alexandria of the Catholic Copts. "As Pope Francis said", continues Father Hani "It will never be an armed intervention to open the path to true peace. War calls war, blood calls blood. Every action of that kind does nothing but worsen the situation".
Even Christians in Egypt are preparing for the day of fasting and prayer for peace in Syria proclaimed by Pope Francis for Saturday, September 7. Then, from 20 September to 15 October, the Coptic Catholic Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac Sidrak will visit some European countries with the aim to describe in a direct manner to Churches and local political classes the real dynamics of the Egyptian crisis and the criteria followed by the Christians in the convulsive phase experienced by the great North African Country. In his European tour, Patriarch Sidrak will visit Switzerland, France, Austria and Germany. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 02/09/2013)
- 2014-12-19 - Islamist threats against the Christmas celebration; Muslim leaders: we defend the churches together with Christians
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West