AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Patriarchate: no one can justify war under the pretext of defending the Christians
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "No one can justify military intervention in the Middle East under the pretext of defending the Christians. This is now valid in Syria. But even in the dramatic moment experienced by Egypt, the exploitation of those asking the international community to intervene under the guise of protecting the Christians, affected by the sectarian fanaticism must be rejected". This is what was said to Fides Agency by Fr.Hani Bakhoum, secretary of the patriarchate of Alexandria of the Catholic Copts. "As Pope Francis said", continues Father Hani "It will never be an armed intervention to open the path to true peace. War calls war, blood calls blood. Every action of that kind does nothing but worsen the situation".
Even Christians in Egypt are preparing for the day of fasting and prayer for peace in Syria proclaimed by Pope Francis for Saturday, September 7. Then, from 20 September to 15 October, the Coptic Catholic Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac Sidrak will visit some European countries with the aim to describe in a direct manner to Churches and local political classes the real dynamics of the Egyptian crisis and the criteria followed by the Christians in the convulsive phase experienced by the great North African Country. In his European tour, Patriarch Sidrak will visit Switzerland, France, Austria and Germany. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 02/09/2013)
- 2015-04-22 - Imams and priests promote the "culture of encounter" preaching together in schools in Minya
- 2015-04-21 - The Islamic University of Al Azhar condemns the massacre of jihadist of Christian Ethiopians
- 2015-04-20 - Coptic Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina on Ethiopian Christians massacred: the martyrs are those in whom the great and consoling victory of Christ shines
- 2015-04-16 - The Coptic Patriarch will participate in the commemorations of the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, to be held in Yerevan
- 2015-04-01 - Laying of the foundation stone of the church dedicated to the "Martyrs of Libya"
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed