AFRICA/EGYPT - Christian Churches defend the Imam of Al Azhar against the attacks by Erdogan
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Secretary General of the Council of Christian Churches in Egypt, Father Bishoy Helmy, has rejected and deplored, on behalf of the Egyptian Christians, the hostile statements aimed at Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan against Ahmed Al Tayyeb, great Imam of Al Azhar University. "The virtues of the Imam and his human stature", said Fr. Bishoy Helmy "are witnessed by his story". Last Sunday, during a speech at the University of Rize, the Turkish Premier had intervened with regards to the Egyptian crisis, heavily attacking Al Tayyeb. "When I saw the Sheikh of Al Azhar in the midst of the coup leaders I was disappointed", said Erdogan, adding that "history will curse men like him, as it cursed in the past in Turkey intellectuals and scholars of that kind". In the same speech, the Turkish Prime Minister also accused Israel and the French philosopher Bernard-Henri Lévy of having inspired the overthrow of Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi and of the government monopolized by Islamist Parties.
The Imam Al Tayyeb, target of Erdogan’s attack, replied that offending Al Azhar means offending all Muslims and all Egyptians.
The University of Al-Azhar is the main center of religious teaching of Sunni Islam. "Before the crisis", says to Fides Agency the Bishop Adel Zaki OFM, Apostolic Vicar of Alexandria in Egypt "a strong collaborative agreement between Al Azhar and the Council of Christian Churches is being registered, the organization that aims to represent the unitary position of Christians in relation to social and political events". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 27/08/2013)
- 2014-03-06 AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
- 2014-03-01 AFRICA/EGYPT - 62nd Catholic Festival of Egyptian Cinema opening ceremony
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/EGYPT – New rules for election of Orthodox Coptic Pope examined by civil authorities
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/LYBIA - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Christian is the first woman elected to lead a political party in Egypt
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/EGYPT - Bishop Kyrillos: positive analysis for the first year of the National Council of Churches
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/EGYPT - Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church on the rules for the election of the Patriarch
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/EGYPT - Patriarch Tawadros to the European Union: help Egypt
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/EGYPT - Bishop Zaki: Christian churches pray together for the future of the Country
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/EGYPT - Al-Sisi to run for President. Bishop Fahim Hanna: he has the support of the people, but the Church does not take sides