ASIA/PAKISTAN - Caritas Pakistan in aid of flood victims
Multan (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas Pakistan has launched massive humanitarian aid for flood victims, mostly Muslims, which in past days hit Pakistan. Heavy monsoon rains have hit the country in the last two weeks, especially in the province of Punjab, causing 108 deaths. The rains have flooded 770 villages and nearly 2,500 homes have been destroyed, leaving over 300,000 people homeless.
As reported in a note sent to Fides by Caritas Pakistan, the organization has distributed to survivors in the district of Rajanpur, in Punjab province, food and hygiene kits for over 100 families. Amjad Gulzar, Executive Director of Caritas Pakistan, said: "The current emergency has put in motion the assistance and Caritas teams of volunteers continue monitoring the flood across the country". "We wanted to start with the most vulnerable and help our Muslim brothers and sisters in their moment of need", he notes. The Director recalled acts of help and sharing experiences together, among Christian volunteers and Muslim refugees, on the day of Eid-ul-Fitr at the end of the Muslim holy month of "Ramadan". Caritas Pakistan has been active especially in the district of Multan (always in Punjab), where there is major damage and where "the survivors are in desperate need of food and mosquito nets.
We plan to start mobile clinics in coming days", explains Gulzar.
The staff of Caritas Pakistan work in close coordination with the civil authorities. With regards to humanitarian interventions, the first three months are aimed at immediate relief, while the next seven months will be focused on recovery and rehabilitation projects. During the monsoon season of 2012, Caritas Pakistan assisted over 7,000 families and provided medical care to more than 4,700 patients. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2013)
- 2013-11-29 ASIA/PAKISTAN – The Christian Younis Masih, sentenced to death for blasphemy, has been released
- 2013-11-28 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Alarm among Christians: the scourge of blasphemy gets worse, four cases in a month
- 2013-11-18 ASIA/PAKISTAN – Conclusion of the Year of Faith: the challenges of priesthood in the modern world
- 2013-10-30 ASIA/PAKISTAN - A new Bishop in Faisalabad: 10 thousand at the Mass with Cardinal Filoni
- 2013-10-21 ASIA/PAKISTAN - After Malala, may the world help the Christian Kashmala, disabled after the massacre in Peshawar
- 2013-10-19 ASIA/PAKISTAN – Conclusion of the Year of Faith: a new impetus for mission and unity
- 2013-10-17 ASIA/PAKISTAN - A Protestant Pastor and two laymen accused of blasphemy, other leaders threatened
- 2013-10-10 ASIA/PAKISTAN - The Church : "The massacre of Peshawar is strengthening our faith. Yes to dialogue with the Taliban"
- 2013-10-08 ASIA/PAKISTAN - A sanctuary for the Christian victims of Peshawar, still without compensation on behalf of the government
- 2013-10-04 ASIA/PAKISTAN - The World Council of Churches to the Premier: "We urgently need to protect religious minorities"