ASIA/PAKISTAN - Caritas Pakistan in aid of flood victims
Multan (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas Pakistan has launched massive humanitarian aid for flood victims, mostly Muslims, which in past days hit Pakistan. Heavy monsoon rains have hit the country in the last two weeks, especially in the province of Punjab, causing 108 deaths. The rains have flooded 770 villages and nearly 2,500 homes have been destroyed, leaving over 300,000 people homeless.
As reported in a note sent to Fides by Caritas Pakistan, the organization has distributed to survivors in the district of Rajanpur, in Punjab province, food and hygiene kits for over 100 families. Amjad Gulzar, Executive Director of Caritas Pakistan, said: "The current emergency has put in motion the assistance and Caritas teams of volunteers continue monitoring the flood across the country". "We wanted to start with the most vulnerable and help our Muslim brothers and sisters in their moment of need", he notes. The Director recalled acts of help and sharing experiences together, among Christian volunteers and Muslim refugees, on the day of Eid-ul-Fitr at the end of the Muslim holy month of "Ramadan". Caritas Pakistan has been active especially in the district of Multan (always in Punjab), where there is major damage and where "the survivors are in desperate need of food and mosquito nets.
We plan to start mobile clinics in coming days", explains Gulzar.
The staff of Caritas Pakistan work in close coordination with the civil authorities. With regards to humanitarian interventions, the first three months are aimed at immediate relief, while the next seven months will be focused on recovery and rehabilitation projects. During the monsoon season of 2012, Caritas Pakistan assisted over 7,000 families and provided medical care to more than 4,700 patients. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2013)
- 2015-01-30 - Anti-Charlie Hebdo protesters storm Christian school
- 2015-01-29 - Legal battle for the custody of the children of the Christian couple burned alive
- 2015-01-28 - Taseer murder, justice to the test
- 2015-01-26 - New church dedicated to Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, in an area where poor families live
- 2015-01-17 - Conversions and forced marriages legitimized by the High Court
- 2015-01-16 - The Director of a Christian magazine: "With the Pope we say no to the vilification of Islam"
- 2015-01-13 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – A mentally disabled man killed on charges of blasphemy
- 2015-01-12 - A hall of Christian worship set on fire: faithful in terror
- 2015-01-08 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Attack in Paris: "Not in the name of Allah"
- 2015-01-07 - Hundreds of children are starving to death because of the drought in the south of the Country