ASIA/PAKISTAN - Caritas Pakistan in aid of flood victims
Multan (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas Pakistan has launched massive humanitarian aid for flood victims, mostly Muslims, which in past days hit Pakistan. Heavy monsoon rains have hit the country in the last two weeks, especially in the province of Punjab, causing 108 deaths. The rains have flooded 770 villages and nearly 2,500 homes have been destroyed, leaving over 300,000 people homeless.
As reported in a note sent to Fides by Caritas Pakistan, the organization has distributed to survivors in the district of Rajanpur, in Punjab province, food and hygiene kits for over 100 families. Amjad Gulzar, Executive Director of Caritas Pakistan, said: "The current emergency has put in motion the assistance and Caritas teams of volunteers continue monitoring the flood across the country". "We wanted to start with the most vulnerable and help our Muslim brothers and sisters in their moment of need", he notes. The Director recalled acts of help and sharing experiences together, among Christian volunteers and Muslim refugees, on the day of Eid-ul-Fitr at the end of the Muslim holy month of "Ramadan". Caritas Pakistan has been active especially in the district of Multan (always in Punjab), where there is major damage and where "the survivors are in desperate need of food and mosquito nets.
We plan to start mobile clinics in coming days", explains Gulzar.
The staff of Caritas Pakistan work in close coordination with the civil authorities. With regards to humanitarian interventions, the first three months are aimed at immediate relief, while the next seven months will be focused on recovery and rehabilitation projects. During the monsoon season of 2012, Caritas Pakistan assisted over 7,000 families and provided medical care to more than 4,700 patients. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 20/08/2013)
- 2014-12-19 - False accusations of blasphemy towards 11 Christians
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: a minute of silence in Catholic schools, at Christmas prayer for peace
- 2014-12-17 - Civil society: "The Taliban and Pakistan are incompatible"
- 2014-12-17 - "Justice and Peace" Commission: after the massacre in Peshawar it is urgent to "rediscover unity"
- 2014-12-16 - Land grabbing, instrument of oppression against Christians
- 2014-12-09 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – A Christian woman beaten and humiliated: justice moves
- 2014-12-05 - Missio Christmas Campaign for Asia Bibi
- 2014-12-04 - Archbishop Coutts: “Advent in the spirit of love of neighbour”
- 2014-11-29 - Pakistani Christians in Italy: motion for religious freedom
- 2014-11-27 - The first Catholic radio in Pakistan