AFRICA/EGYPT - 58 churches destroyed. "But it is not a war between Christians and Muslims", says the spokesperson of the Catholic Bishops
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - 58 churches and Christian institutions were attacked and set on fire in Egypt in past days. This was reported to Fides Agency by Fr. Rafic Greiche, spokesman of the Catholic Bishops of Egypt. "Out of 58 churches attacked 14 are Catholic, the rest belong to the Coptic Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Anglican and Protestant communities" says Fr. Greiche. "The attacks against the churches took place all over the Country, but are concentrated especially in the areas of Al Minya and Assiut, because it is there that we find the headquarters of the jihadists, responsible for this violence", adds Fr. Greiche.
"It should be emphasized – the priest says - that Muslims who live in the vicinity of the affected churches have helped men and women religious to put out the fires of the religious buildings".
"This is not a civil war between Christians and Muslims", emphasizes Fr. Greiche. "It is not a civil war but a war against terrorism. And the majority of the population is against terrorism and religious extremism", concludes Fr. Greiche. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/08/2013)
- 2015-11-20 - The Coptic Orthodox Church inaugurates a TV channel for children
- 2015-11-19 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: participate in the elections and give your support to honest and competent candidates
- 2015-11-13 - The Imam of al-Azhar condemns the attack on a Coptic evangelical church
- 2015-11-12 - The Coptic Church: no to unauthorized collection of money for the flooded monasteries
- 2015-11-07 - Historical Coptic monasteries damaged by floods
- 2015-11-06 - The Middle East Council of Churches: unify the date for the Easter celebrations
- 2015-10-22 - AFRICA/EGYPT –Election: good results for Coptic candidates, Salafi party crash
- 2015-10-19 - Elections: the high turnout of Christians
- 2015-10-09 - Coptic Organizations call on President al-Sisi to reopen the investigation into the massacre of Maspero
- 2015-10-06 - Sectarian clashes in Samalut, the "city of martyrs": ten Copts wounded