AMERICA/PERU - Killed during missionary work 22 years ago, a witness which is always alive
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - As every year, the Diocese of Chimbote, commemorates the martyrdom of Franciscan friars Zbigniew Strzalkowski and Miguel Tomaszek in Pariacoto, and of Father Sandro Dordi in the town of Santa, who were killed 22 years ago, while they were carrying out their work of evangelization.
In Pariacoto, this August 8, the community held a Way of the Cross on the road to Pueblo Viejo, and a vigil to pray for the beatification of the friars and all the martyrs in the world. On Friday 9, the civic act in the main square of the village and the Mass were held, which was presided over by Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, Bishop of Chimbote.
In Chimbote city, tomorrow Sunday, August 11 a Mass in the Parish of the Holy Martyrs will be celebrated at 10:00 a.m., and after a delegation of faithful on pilgrimage to the place of martyrdom in Pariacoto will depart.
As a note sent to Fides by the Peruvian Episcopal Conference recalls, in early August of 1991, the religious Franciscans Michael Tomaszek and Zbigniew Strzalkowski were killed in the city of Pariacoto by terrorists during the subversive violence that was present in our country in those years. Two weeks later, Father Sandro Dordi was murdered by terrorists in the city of Santa (see Fides 09/08/2011). The Catholic community therefore, every year in this period, commemorates the martyrdom of this priest and the two religious who gave their lives for faith. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/08/2013)
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/PERU – 100 years of mission among indigenous women in the Amazon
- 2015-07-23 - Peru and Brazil together to eradicate child labour in Amazonia
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers