AMERICA/PERU - Killed during missionary work 22 years ago, a witness which is always alive
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - As every year, the Diocese of Chimbote, commemorates the martyrdom of Franciscan friars Zbigniew Strzalkowski and Miguel Tomaszek in Pariacoto, and of Father Sandro Dordi in the town of Santa, who were killed 22 years ago, while they were carrying out their work of evangelization.
In Pariacoto, this August 8, the community held a Way of the Cross on the road to Pueblo Viejo, and a vigil to pray for the beatification of the friars and all the martyrs in the world. On Friday 9, the civic act in the main square of the village and the Mass were held, which was presided over by Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, Bishop of Chimbote.
In Chimbote city, tomorrow Sunday, August 11 a Mass in the Parish of the Holy Martyrs will be celebrated at 10:00 a.m., and after a delegation of faithful on pilgrimage to the place of martyrdom in Pariacoto will depart.
As a note sent to Fides by the Peruvian Episcopal Conference recalls, in early August of 1991, the religious Franciscans Michael Tomaszek and Zbigniew Strzalkowski were killed in the city of Pariacoto by terrorists during the subversive violence that was present in our country in those years. Two weeks later, Father Sandro Dordi was murdered by terrorists in the city of Santa (see Fides 09/08/2011). The Catholic community therefore, every year in this period, commemorates the martyrdom of this priest and the two religious who gave their lives for faith. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/08/2013)
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home