AMERICA/PERU - Killed during missionary work 22 years ago, a witness which is always alive
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - As every year, the Diocese of Chimbote, commemorates the martyrdom of Franciscan friars Zbigniew Strzalkowski and Miguel Tomaszek in Pariacoto, and of Father Sandro Dordi in the town of Santa, who were killed 22 years ago, while they were carrying out their work of evangelization.
In Pariacoto, this August 8, the community held a Way of the Cross on the road to Pueblo Viejo, and a vigil to pray for the beatification of the friars and all the martyrs in the world. On Friday 9, the civic act in the main square of the village and the Mass were held, which was presided over by Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, Bishop of Chimbote.
In Chimbote city, tomorrow Sunday, August 11 a Mass in the Parish of the Holy Martyrs will be celebrated at 10:00 a.m., and after a delegation of faithful on pilgrimage to the place of martyrdom in Pariacoto will depart.
As a note sent to Fides by the Peruvian Episcopal Conference recalls, in early August of 1991, the religious Franciscans Michael Tomaszek and Zbigniew Strzalkowski were killed in the city of Pariacoto by terrorists during the subversive violence that was present in our country in those years. Two weeks later, Father Sandro Dordi was murdered by terrorists in the city of Santa (see Fides 09/08/2011). The Catholic community therefore, every year in this period, commemorates the martyrdom of this priest and the two religious who gave their lives for faith. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/08/2013)
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking