AMERICA/PERU - Killed during missionary work 22 years ago, a witness which is always alive
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - As every year, the Diocese of Chimbote, commemorates the martyrdom of Franciscan friars Zbigniew Strzalkowski and Miguel Tomaszek in Pariacoto, and of Father Sandro Dordi in the town of Santa, who were killed 22 years ago, while they were carrying out their work of evangelization.
In Pariacoto, this August 8, the community held a Way of the Cross on the road to Pueblo Viejo, and a vigil to pray for the beatification of the friars and all the martyrs in the world. On Friday 9, the civic act in the main square of the village and the Mass were held, which was presided over by Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, Bishop of Chimbote.
In Chimbote city, tomorrow Sunday, August 11 a Mass in the Parish of the Holy Martyrs will be celebrated at 10:00 a.m., and after a delegation of faithful on pilgrimage to the place of martyrdom in Pariacoto will depart.
As a note sent to Fides by the Peruvian Episcopal Conference recalls, in early August of 1991, the religious Franciscans Michael Tomaszek and Zbigniew Strzalkowski were killed in the city of Pariacoto by terrorists during the subversive violence that was present in our country in those years. Two weeks later, Father Sandro Dordi was murdered by terrorists in the city of Santa (see Fides 09/08/2011). The Catholic community therefore, every year in this period, commemorates the martyrdom of this priest and the two religious who gave their lives for faith. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/08/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo
- 2014-03-21 - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures
- 2014-03-07 - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
- 2014-02-27 - “Ninos de plomo” Children of Lead: education programme for mineral contaminated minors
- 2014-02-19 - "For a participated and technical debate": the Bishops on the university law
- 2014-01-28 - Dispute between Peru and Chile: an example of how to resolve differences in a peaceful manner
- 2014-01-21 - In prayer for harmony among the peoples, pending the judgment of the Hague
- 2014-01-20 - The Bishops gathered in Plenary Assembly
- 2014-01-14 - "Without communication, there are no rights"