AMERICA/PERU - Killed during missionary work 22 years ago, a witness which is always alive
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - As every year, the Diocese of Chimbote, commemorates the martyrdom of Franciscan friars Zbigniew Strzalkowski and Miguel Tomaszek in Pariacoto, and of Father Sandro Dordi in the town of Santa, who were killed 22 years ago, while they were carrying out their work of evangelization.
In Pariacoto, this August 8, the community held a Way of the Cross on the road to Pueblo Viejo, and a vigil to pray for the beatification of the friars and all the martyrs in the world. On Friday 9, the civic act in the main square of the village and the Mass were held, which was presided over by Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, Bishop of Chimbote.
In Chimbote city, tomorrow Sunday, August 11 a Mass in the Parish of the Holy Martyrs will be celebrated at 10:00 a.m., and after a delegation of faithful on pilgrimage to the place of martyrdom in Pariacoto will depart.
As a note sent to Fides by the Peruvian Episcopal Conference recalls, in early August of 1991, the religious Franciscans Michael Tomaszek and Zbigniew Strzalkowski were killed in the city of Pariacoto by terrorists during the subversive violence that was present in our country in those years. Two weeks later, Father Sandro Dordi was murdered by terrorists in the city of Santa (see Fides 09/08/2011). The Catholic community therefore, every year in this period, commemorates the martyrdom of this priest and the two religious who gave their lives for faith. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/08/2013)
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA/PERU - Exclusion and discrimination, but also struggle and resistance for indigenous women around the world
- 2013-10-28 AMERICA/PERU - 5,000 malnourished children in the province of Santa
- 2013-10-25 AMERICA/PERU - In one year children working and living on the streets have increased by 200%
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/PERU - Also the indigenous children Kukama took part in the "TINKUY 2013"
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/PERU - "I am not afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out on the loose and should be inside": the Bishop of Chimbote against violence
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/PERU - Peruvian Migrants' Day, October - month of the Lord of Miracles
- 2013-10-09 AMERICA/PERU - The prisoners march for peace in Chimbote, the Bishop is present
- 2013-10-04 AMERICA/PERU - "Share your faith ... and also your bread": missionary month in the sign of the Year of Faith
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/PERU - Children and women exploited in sweatshops in the Amazon
- 2013-09-25 AMERICA/PERU - Two thousand victims rescued from human trafficking, 42% are minors