AMERICA - Today International Day of the world’s Indigenous Peoples is celebrated
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - On 9 August every year we celebrate the International Day of the world’s Indigenous Peoples, which was established by the General Assembly of the United Nations in 1994, with the resolution A/RES/49/214. The theme of the International Day of Indigenous Peoples of the United Nations this year is "Indigenous Peoples in the construction of alliances: In honor of treaties, agreements and other constructive agreements".
According to data collected by Fides, with this celebration the United Nations aims to highlight the importance of Treaties among States, their citizens, and indigenous peoples, which aim to recognize and defend their rights and their lands, and establish a framework for coexistence and economic relations. The agreements also define a policy framework for the coexistence of the different sovereign peoples who live in the same territory, according to the principles of friendship, cooperation and peace. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/08/2013)
- 2015-11-16 - Latin American Bishops protagonists of the "Pact of the Catacombs"
- 2015-05-16 - Message of the XXXV General Assembly of CELAM: "Living a missionary conversion as a church which goes forth"
- 2015-05-07 - 88 environmentalists killed in Latin America in 2014
- 2015-04-16 - Bishops Emeritus continue to give their contribution
- 2015-04-16 - Almost 4 million children in Latin America do not have access to primary school
- 2015-03-17 - Human rights and extractive industries in Latin America: the position of the Church
- 2015-03-06 - Pan-Amazon Ecclesial Network: For Mgr. Barreto the life of 30 million people is at stake
- 2015-01-15 - New web portal of CELAM, to reach the "suburbs" of the continent
- 2015-01-02 - Drastic increase of children who try to escape from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador
- 2014-12-11 - The new land of the "landless", a living and current history