AMERICA/COLOMBIA - For the first time WACOM in Latin America
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Christoph Schonborn, Archbishop of Vienna (Austria) and President of the World Congress of Divine Mercy, is in Colombia to attend the WACOM III (World Apostolic Congress on Mercy) Pre-Congress, which takes place from August 5 to 7 in Bogota. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by the Pontifical Mission Societies of Colombia, the peculiarity is the fact that for the first time the Congress will take place in Latin America in a year’s time. The Divine Mercy is a key term of John Paul II’s (1978-2005) Pontificate, who introduced the Feast of the Divine Mercy on the second Sunday of Easter.
Fr. Patrice Chocholski (Secretary General of WACOM III), continental and national co-ordinators, and His Exc. Mgr. Julio Hernando García Peláez (Bishop of Istmina - Tado in Choco), delegate of the Colombian Episcopal Conference and Director of the organizing Committee are attending this meeting.
The initiative has the support of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia, the Archdiocese of Bogotá, the Pontifical Mission Societies of Colombia.
The agenda of the pre-congress provides lectures and group discussions on the Theology of Mercy, the sharing of experiences of the participants from various countries, the planning and preparation of the 2014 World Congress, and will conclude with a panel discussion on the theme of "Spirituality of Mercy" moderated by Cardinal Schonborn. Finally there will be the veneration of the relics of St. Faustina and Blessed John Paul II. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/08/2013)
- 2014-04-12 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA –"Schools of reconciliation" are born: initiative of the Church for young people
- 2014-04-09 - Respect for human rights for the victims of landmines
- 2014-04-03 - Indigenous children continue to die of hunger and chronic malnutrition
- 2014-03-31 - First study on hidden child victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-03-31 - Peace talks: conclusion of the 22nd session
- 2014-02-27 - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Dialogue between two parties on equal terms, not between weak and powerful
- 2014-02-24 - Colombians deported from Venezuela: Catholic Bishops in border area dioceses work to provide assistance and promote peace
- 2014-02-21 - The army must be armored against corruption
- 2014-02-20 - The children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu continue to die of hunger