AMERICA/COLOMBIA - For the first time WACOM in Latin America
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Christoph Schonborn, Archbishop of Vienna (Austria) and President of the World Congress of Divine Mercy, is in Colombia to attend the WACOM III (World Apostolic Congress on Mercy) Pre-Congress, which takes place from August 5 to 7 in Bogota. According to the note sent to Fides Agency by the Pontifical Mission Societies of Colombia, the peculiarity is the fact that for the first time the Congress will take place in Latin America in a year’s time. The Divine Mercy is a key term of John Paul II’s (1978-2005) Pontificate, who introduced the Feast of the Divine Mercy on the second Sunday of Easter.
Fr. Patrice Chocholski (Secretary General of WACOM III), continental and national co-ordinators, and His Exc. Mgr. Julio Hernando García Peláez (Bishop of Istmina - Tado in Choco), delegate of the Colombian Episcopal Conference and Director of the organizing Committee are attending this meeting.
The initiative has the support of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia, the Archdiocese of Bogotá, the Pontifical Mission Societies of Colombia.
The agenda of the pre-congress provides lectures and group discussions on the Theology of Mercy, the sharing of experiences of the participants from various countries, the planning and preparation of the 2014 World Congress, and will conclude with a panel discussion on the theme of "Spirituality of Mercy" moderated by Cardinal Schonborn. Finally there will be the veneration of the relics of St. Faustina and Blessed John Paul II. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/08/2013)
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives