AFRICA/MALI - Caritas: "The population of Mali has demonstrated with the vote its attachment to the institutions"
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - "The people of Mali despite the short preparation period and in a difficult context, expressed its attachment to the institutions of the Republic and the good coexistence among all", says a statement released by Caritas Malipublished on the occasion of a press conference to present the results of the Observation Mission of the presidential elections on 28 July (see Fides 31/07/2013).
The document, sent to Fides Agency, welcomes the "peaceful environment" in which the vote was held, and hopes that "this great outburst of patriotic consciousness is preserved in the upcoming deadlines of national life".
Caritas Mali thanked the 153 young people who volunteered as election observers on behalf of the charitable organization. These young people, the statement said "have just written a new page in the history of the Catholic Church in Mali, in their commitment to the promotion of peace, justice and good governance".
Before the election, the Church with Caritas Mali had launched programs of civic and electoral education to sensitize the citizens to vote as a right and duty, to respect the institutions and the peaceful conduct of the vote. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2013)
- 2015-09-09 - Three million people are suffering food insecurity, among them 715,000 children
- 2015-06-24 - The peace agreement signed in a climate of emotion and conviviality
- 2015-05-25 - Despite the latest violence, one hopes in the talks in Algiers in order to reach peace
- 2015-05-06 - President of the Episcopal Conference:"Mali wants peace, Muslims have suffered the violence of the jihadists"
- 2015-03-09 - The attack on the UN base in Kidal and the bombing in Bamako committed by the same group
- 2014-11-25 - Other kidnappings of children in a climate of instability due to the presence of armed groups
- 2014-11-21 - AFRICA/MALI – Ebola: annual pilgrimage postponed
- 2014-10-06 - "It is necessary to stabilize the south of Libya in order to stop the attacks in Mali", said the Secretary of the Bishops' Conference
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/MALI – More than 3 million suffer food shortage, some 50,000 could starve to death before the end of 2014
- 2013-09-06 - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy