AMERICA/CHILE - The Cathedral of Santiago has re-opened after last week’s incidents
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) – A Mass was celebrated in the Metropolitan Cathedral of Santiago de Chile after the violent raid in the place of worship on behalf of several protesters (see Fides 27/07/2013). The celebration was presided by Archbishop Ricardo Ezzati, in the presence of the Apostolic Nuncio, Mgr. Ivo Scapolo, along with bishops, priests and about 5000 faithful.
Several civil authorities and representatives of the police and the army were also present.
During his homily, the Archbishop thanked all those who showed solidarity towards the Church.
Mgr. Ezzati recalled Pope Francis’ words to assert that Christians must not become discouraged in the face of events of this kind. "We are not afraid - the Archbishop said – let us go out from the geographical and human suburbs of Santiago, so we will become for all a sign of God’s nearness".
A note informs Fides that Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati together with the Dean of the Cathedral, Mgr. Juan de la Cruz Suarez, filed lawsuit against those responsible for the serious incident at the Seventh Court of Justice. On July 25, a group of protesters had entered the church with violence while Mass for the Feast of St. James was being celebrated, interrupting the function, attacking the faithful and causing serious damage to the altars, walls and furniture, including a confessional over 100 years old, part of the cultural heritage of Chile (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2013)
- 2014-01-09 AMERICA/CHILE - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 AMERICA/CHILE - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco
- 2013-12-17 AMERICA/CHILE - "Supporting initiatives in favor of development": the President of the Bishops' Conference meets newly elected President Bachelet
- 2013-12-16 AMERICA/CHILE - Michelle Bachelet, Chile's new president
- 2013-11-23 AMERICA/CHILE - A community divided in two in order to protect the environment threatened by the Pascua Lama project
- 2013-11-22 AMERICA/CHILE - Solidarity of the Chilean Church to the victims of the typhoon that hit the Philippines
- 2013-11-08 AMERICA/CHILE – Mgr. Ezzati re-elected President of the CECh; waiting for the final message of the Assembly
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/CHILE - A 12-meter missionary cross to conclude the "Youth Mission"
- 2013-10-11 AMERICA/CHILE - "Water should not be anyone's privilege": the first congress for water in Chile
- 2013-10-09 AMERICA/CHILE - "All missionaries and for the whole world": the contribution of Chile to the missions