AMERICA/CHILE - The Cathedral of Santiago has re-opened after last week’s incidents
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) – A Mass was celebrated in the Metropolitan Cathedral of Santiago de Chile after the violent raid in the place of worship on behalf of several protesters (see Fides 27/07/2013). The celebration was presided by Archbishop Ricardo Ezzati, in the presence of the Apostolic Nuncio, Mgr. Ivo Scapolo, along with bishops, priests and about 5000 faithful.
Several civil authorities and representatives of the police and the army were also present.
During his homily, the Archbishop thanked all those who showed solidarity towards the Church.
Mgr. Ezzati recalled Pope Francis’ words to assert that Christians must not become discouraged in the face of events of this kind. "We are not afraid - the Archbishop said – let us go out from the geographical and human suburbs of Santiago, so we will become for all a sign of God’s nearness".
A note informs Fides that Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati together with the Dean of the Cathedral, Mgr. Juan de la Cruz Suarez, filed lawsuit against those responsible for the serious incident at the Seventh Court of Justice. On July 25, a group of protesters had entered the church with violence while Mass for the Feast of St. James was being celebrated, interrupting the function, attacking the faithful and causing serious damage to the altars, walls and furniture, including a confessional over 100 years old, part of the cultural heritage of Chile (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2013)
- 2015-10-22 - A global network of volunteers for minors at risk
- 2015-10-19 - V Meeting for Pastoral Operators of Human Mobility in Bolivia, Chile and Peru
- 2015-10-05 - The Bishop of Punta Arenas thanks for the clarification on the gas supply
- 2015-09-29 - The Bishop of Punta Arenas denounces: There is no transparency in the agreements for gas
- 2015-09-25 - Earthquake victims help other victims: the President of Caritas Chile in the affected areas
- 2015-08-06 - "Freedoms have limits", said Mgr. Chomalí
- 2015-08-03 - “Abortion is never therapeutic”: local Catholic Church attacks
- 2015-07-01 - Procession at sea on Easter Island for St. Peter, praying for the Pope's visit
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission