AMERICA/CHILE - The Cathedral of Santiago has re-opened after last week’s incidents
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) – A Mass was celebrated in the Metropolitan Cathedral of Santiago de Chile after the violent raid in the place of worship on behalf of several protesters (see Fides 27/07/2013). The celebration was presided by Archbishop Ricardo Ezzati, in the presence of the Apostolic Nuncio, Mgr. Ivo Scapolo, along with bishops, priests and about 5000 faithful.
Several civil authorities and representatives of the police and the army were also present.
During his homily, the Archbishop thanked all those who showed solidarity towards the Church.
Mgr. Ezzati recalled Pope Francis’ words to assert that Christians must not become discouraged in the face of events of this kind. "We are not afraid - the Archbishop said – let us go out from the geographical and human suburbs of Santiago, so we will become for all a sign of God’s nearness".
A note informs Fides that Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati together with the Dean of the Cathedral, Mgr. Juan de la Cruz Suarez, filed lawsuit against those responsible for the serious incident at the Seventh Court of Justice. On July 25, a group of protesters had entered the church with violence while Mass for the Feast of St. James was being celebrated, interrupting the function, attacking the faithful and causing serious damage to the altars, walls and furniture, including a confessional over 100 years old, part of the cultural heritage of Chile (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2013)
- 2015-02-23 - Rudimental bomb explodes near a parish in the capital
- 2015-01-29 - "We have lost a great opportunity": criticism regarding the Law on Education
- 2014-11-19 - Bishops support: "an educational reform for the good of the nation"
- 2014-10-20 - A hundred thousand on a pilgrimage for the family to the shrine of the first Chilean Saint
- 2014-10-03 - Apostolic Vicar of Aysen awarded: "Water is also a problem of sovereignty"
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
- 2014-05-30 - AMERICA/CHILE – Local Catholic Church committed to educational reform nation wide
- 2014-05-07 - The decline in vocations to priesthood at the center of the Assembly of Bishops of Chile
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire