AFRICA/EGYPT - A commission to review the provisional Constitution. The Churches are also involved
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "In the coming hours" refers to Fides Agency Botros Fahim Awad Hanna, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Minya, "President Adly Mansur should sign the decree establishing a commission of fifty members appointed to amend the provisional Constitution. The work of the Commission could begin as early as next week".
In recent days, Egyptian Christians had presented to President ad interim Mansur two memoranda - one expressed by the Coptic Orthodoxs and the other by the Catholics - where critics were exposed to the Provisional Constitutional text enacted by presidential decree on Monday night, July 8 and intended to remain in force in the months set for the transition phase that began after the deposition of President Morsi. Christian leaders were among the first to express reservations about the provisional Constitution, challenged even by liberal and secular groups. "In fact, on key issues that are of concern to Christians nothing had changed", says to Fides Bishop Adel Zaki OFM, Vicar Apostolic of Alexandria for the Catholics of the Latin rite.
Several representatives of various Churches and Christian communities in Egypt will be part of setting up the commission for the revision of the constitutional text ad interim. Leading representative of the Coptic Orthodox Church should be Bishop Anba Boula, while the Catholic representative could be a competent lay in law and legal issues. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 19/07/2013).
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays