AFRICA/EGYPT - A commission to review the provisional Constitution. The Churches are also involved
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "In the coming hours" refers to Fides Agency Botros Fahim Awad Hanna, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Minya, "President Adly Mansur should sign the decree establishing a commission of fifty members appointed to amend the provisional Constitution. The work of the Commission could begin as early as next week".
In recent days, Egyptian Christians had presented to President ad interim Mansur two memoranda - one expressed by the Coptic Orthodoxs and the other by the Catholics - where critics were exposed to the Provisional Constitutional text enacted by presidential decree on Monday night, July 8 and intended to remain in force in the months set for the transition phase that began after the deposition of President Morsi. Christian leaders were among the first to express reservations about the provisional Constitution, challenged even by liberal and secular groups. "In fact, on key issues that are of concern to Christians nothing had changed", says to Fides Bishop Adel Zaki OFM, Vicar Apostolic of Alexandria for the Catholics of the Latin rite.
Several representatives of various Churches and Christian communities in Egypt will be part of setting up the commission for the revision of the constitutional text ad interim. Leading representative of the Coptic Orthodox Church should be Bishop Anba Boula, while the Catholic representative could be a competent lay in law and legal issues. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 19/07/2013).
- 2014-12-19 - Islamist threats against the Christmas celebration; Muslim leaders: we defend the churches together with Christians
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West