AFRICA/EGYPT - A commission to review the provisional Constitution. The Churches are also involved
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "In the coming hours" refers to Fides Agency Botros Fahim Awad Hanna, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Minya, "President Adly Mansur should sign the decree establishing a commission of fifty members appointed to amend the provisional Constitution. The work of the Commission could begin as early as next week".
In recent days, Egyptian Christians had presented to President ad interim Mansur two memoranda - one expressed by the Coptic Orthodoxs and the other by the Catholics - where critics were exposed to the Provisional Constitutional text enacted by presidential decree on Monday night, July 8 and intended to remain in force in the months set for the transition phase that began after the deposition of President Morsi. Christian leaders were among the first to express reservations about the provisional Constitution, challenged even by liberal and secular groups. "In fact, on key issues that are of concern to Christians nothing had changed", says to Fides Bishop Adel Zaki OFM, Vicar Apostolic of Alexandria for the Catholics of the Latin rite.
Several representatives of various Churches and Christian communities in Egypt will be part of setting up the commission for the revision of the constitutional text ad interim. Leading representative of the Coptic Orthodox Church should be Bishop Anba Boula, while the Catholic representative could be a competent lay in law and legal issues. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 19/07/2013).
- 2014-10-17 - Egyptian Family House grows, liaison body between Muslims and Christians
- 2014-10-09 - The children of a school take position against separated classes, based on religion
- 2014-10-03 - Intimidation against Copts who do not pay their "taxes" to a Muslim clan
- 2014-09-29 - The Coptic woman who had disappeared returns home: she did not convert but had been kidnapped
- 2014-09-27 - New rules for the construction of churches: Christians prepare their proposal
- 2014-09-25 - Kidnappings continue to the detriment of the Copts, a dentist kidnapped killed
- 2014-09-19 - The army rebuilds a Catholic school devastated by Islamists in Beni Suef
- 2014-07-24 - AFRICA/EGYPT – There is no Christian in St. Anthony Abate’s hometown
- 2014-07-17 - A bill to ensure and regulate the construction of churches is being studied
- 2014-07-16 - Patriarch Tawadros II: the Bishops do not express support for candidates or political parties in elections