AFRICA/EGYPT - A commission to review the provisional Constitution. The Churches are also involved
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "In the coming hours" refers to Fides Agency Botros Fahim Awad Hanna, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Minya, "President Adly Mansur should sign the decree establishing a commission of fifty members appointed to amend the provisional Constitution. The work of the Commission could begin as early as next week".
In recent days, Egyptian Christians had presented to President ad interim Mansur two memoranda - one expressed by the Coptic Orthodoxs and the other by the Catholics - where critics were exposed to the Provisional Constitutional text enacted by presidential decree on Monday night, July 8 and intended to remain in force in the months set for the transition phase that began after the deposition of President Morsi. Christian leaders were among the first to express reservations about the provisional Constitution, challenged even by liberal and secular groups. "In fact, on key issues that are of concern to Christians nothing had changed", says to Fides Bishop Adel Zaki OFM, Vicar Apostolic of Alexandria for the Catholics of the Latin rite.
Several representatives of various Churches and Christian communities in Egypt will be part of setting up the commission for the revision of the constitutional text ad interim. Leading representative of the Coptic Orthodox Church should be Bishop Anba Boula, while the Catholic representative could be a competent lay in law and legal issues. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 19/07/2013).
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed
- 2015-03-20 - Hospitals in Al Azhar open their doors to Christian doctors
- 2015-03-17 - The Egyptian government reviews Islamic religious education programs to combat extremism
- 2015-03-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Armed assault against the Franciscan church of Kafr el Dawar
- 2015-03-03 - Patriarch Tawadros meets the families of 21 martyrs; another Copt beheaded in Libya
- 2015-02-25 - Christian archaeological area risks demolition, Coptic monks lie down in front of bulldozers
- 2015-02-23 - Copt Church forms committee to evacuate Egyptians from Libya
- 2015-02-17 - Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina: Libya’s martyrs died with the name of Christ on their lips