AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A Bishop and a deputy minister mediators in the dispute between the government and farmers
Tibú (Agenzia Fides) – Mgr. Omar Alberto Sanchez, Bishop of Tibú in Norte de Santander, which borders Venezuela, and the deputy minister of labor, Jose Noe Rios, were charged with preparing an act of agreement in the dispute between the government and farmers in the region of Catatumbo. As reported to Fides by the Vice President of Colombia, Angelino Garzón, these are his words: "There have been very clear positions on behalf of the farmers, and there were also views expressed by the national government. So we agreed that Mgr. Omar Alberto Sanchez and Jose Noe Rios (Deputy Minister of Labour), are assigned to work on what could be a suitable agreement that satisfies both parties".
Farmers call for the creation of a rural reserve and to stop large mining and agribusiness projects (announced by the government), which, in their opinion, would damage the environment and the local production. Since the beginning, the Bishop of Tibú, Mgr. Omar Alberto Sánchez has called for dialogue in order to find a solution to the difficult situation suffered in the area, and farmers have relied on him because he knows their hopes and frustrations. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/07/2013)
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez