AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A Bishop and a deputy minister mediators in the dispute between the government and farmers
Tibú (Agenzia Fides) – Mgr. Omar Alberto Sanchez, Bishop of Tibú in Norte de Santander, which borders Venezuela, and the deputy minister of labor, Jose Noe Rios, were charged with preparing an act of agreement in the dispute between the government and farmers in the region of Catatumbo. As reported to Fides by the Vice President of Colombia, Angelino Garzón, these are his words: "There have been very clear positions on behalf of the farmers, and there were also views expressed by the national government. So we agreed that Mgr. Omar Alberto Sanchez and Jose Noe Rios (Deputy Minister of Labour), are assigned to work on what could be a suitable agreement that satisfies both parties".
Farmers call for the creation of a rural reserve and to stop large mining and agribusiness projects (announced by the government), which, in their opinion, would damage the environment and the local production. Since the beginning, the Bishop of Tibú, Mgr. Omar Alberto Sánchez has called for dialogue in order to find a solution to the difficult situation suffered in the area, and farmers have relied on him because he knows their hopes and frustrations. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/07/2013)
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors