AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A Bishop and a deputy minister mediators in the dispute between the government and farmers
Tibú (Agenzia Fides) – Mgr. Omar Alberto Sanchez, Bishop of Tibú in Norte de Santander, which borders Venezuela, and the deputy minister of labor, Jose Noe Rios, were charged with preparing an act of agreement in the dispute between the government and farmers in the region of Catatumbo. As reported to Fides by the Vice President of Colombia, Angelino Garzón, these are his words: "There have been very clear positions on behalf of the farmers, and there were also views expressed by the national government. So we agreed that Mgr. Omar Alberto Sanchez and Jose Noe Rios (Deputy Minister of Labour), are assigned to work on what could be a suitable agreement that satisfies both parties".
Farmers call for the creation of a rural reserve and to stop large mining and agribusiness projects (announced by the government), which, in their opinion, would damage the environment and the local production. Since the beginning, the Bishop of Tibú, Mgr. Omar Alberto Sánchez has called for dialogue in order to find a solution to the difficult situation suffered in the area, and farmers have relied on him because he knows their hopes and frustrations. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/07/2013)
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices
- 2014-11-29 - Observatory for Reconciliation and Peace is created
- 2014-11-27 - Hunger and chronic malnutrition cause the death of a child every 33 hours
- 2014-11-26 - Sexual violence on women: a forgotten medical emergency
- 2014-11-26 - Peace talks in Cuba must continue
- 2014-11-21 - The request to continue peace talks: "Do not destroy the hope of Colombians"