AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Priest who disappeared days ago found dead
Monteria (Agenzia Fides) - The lifeless body of Father Néstor Darío Buendía Martinez (see Fides 25/06/2013) was found dead in an isolated area of the town of Los Cordobas. Although the priest had never reported of having received threats, according to reports from the local press, don Buendía Martínez had publicly condemned criminal gangs in the area of Cereté.
Don Néstor Darío Buendía Martínez, 35, was assistant pastor at the parish of San Antonio de Padua in Cereté. The Bishop of Monteria, Msg. Ramón Alberto Rolón, just the other day had reported to the press his concern over the disappearance of the priest.
According to Fides that publisshes an annual document of pastoral workers who die every year, for the fourth consecutive time in 2012, America recorded the highest number of pastoral workers killed compared to other continents. In Colombia a priest was killed in 2012; 6 priests and 1 lay person were killed in 2011; three priests and a religious were killed in 2010; 5 priests and 1 lay person in 2009. In 2013 if the tragic death of Father Néstor Darío Buendía Martínez is confirmed 5 Colombian priests have been killed so far. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2013)
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation
- 2015-09-11 - Week of Peace: Colombians want a date for talks with the ELN
- 2015-09-07 - The Bishop of Cucuta marches in defense of the rights of Colombians
- 2015-09-03 - Meeting of the Bishops of Colombia and Venezuela on the border area crisis
- 2015-09-03 - Dengue haemorrhagic fever affects children in Huila
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement