AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Priest who disappeared days ago found dead
Monteria (Agenzia Fides) - The lifeless body of Father Néstor Darío Buendía Martinez (see Fides 25/06/2013) was found dead in an isolated area of the town of Los Cordobas. Although the priest had never reported of having received threats, according to reports from the local press, don Buendía Martínez had publicly condemned criminal gangs in the area of Cereté.
Don Néstor Darío Buendía Martínez, 35, was assistant pastor at the parish of San Antonio de Padua in Cereté. The Bishop of Monteria, Msg. Ramón Alberto Rolón, just the other day had reported to the press his concern over the disappearance of the priest.
According to Fides that publisshes an annual document of pastoral workers who die every year, for the fourth consecutive time in 2012, America recorded the highest number of pastoral workers killed compared to other continents. In Colombia a priest was killed in 2012; 6 priests and 1 lay person were killed in 2011; three priests and a religious were killed in 2010; 5 priests and 1 lay person in 2009. In 2013 if the tragic death of Father Néstor Darío Buendía Martínez is confirmed 5 Colombian priests have been killed so far. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2013)
- 2015-03-04 - Meeting of Bishops Emeritus
- 2015-03-02 - Testimony of Mgr. Vidal: "Promises arrive in Cúcuta, never decisions"
- 2015-02-21 - Lent: multimedia “On the way to Easter”
- 2015-02-10 - The proposal of the FARC divides public opinion
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10