AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Priest who disappeared days ago found dead
Monteria (Agenzia Fides) - The lifeless body of Father Néstor Darío Buendía Martinez (see Fides 25/06/2013) was found dead in an isolated area of the town of Los Cordobas. Although the priest had never reported of having received threats, according to reports from the local press, don Buendía Martínez had publicly condemned criminal gangs in the area of Cereté.
Don Néstor Darío Buendía Martínez, 35, was assistant pastor at the parish of San Antonio de Padua in Cereté. The Bishop of Monteria, Msg. Ramón Alberto Rolón, just the other day had reported to the press his concern over the disappearance of the priest.
According to Fides that publisshes an annual document of pastoral workers who die every year, for the fourth consecutive time in 2012, America recorded the highest number of pastoral workers killed compared to other continents. In Colombia a priest was killed in 2012; 6 priests and 1 lay person were killed in 2011; three priests and a religious were killed in 2010; 5 priests and 1 lay person in 2009. In 2013 if the tragic death of Father Néstor Darío Buendía Martínez is confirmed 5 Colombian priests have been killed so far. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/06/2013)
- 2014-09-30 - Working with the indigenous open to inculturation: the commitment of the Apostolic Vicar of Mitu
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country