AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A nationalism that creates tension is not part of Caribbean cohabitation
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic weekly "Camino" denounced the existence of groups that are promoting "a worrying nationalism" with the crisis triggered by the prohibition imposed by the authorities of Haiti regarding the import of poultry from the Dominican Republic.
In its last editorial, "Camino" invites two Caribbean countries to "prudence and wisdom," pointing out that the recent meeting of the Presidents, the Dominican, Danilo Medina, and the Haitian, Michel Martelly, in Ouanaminthe (Haiti) had created "hopes and expectations" on the strengthening of bilateral relations on the basis of harmony, respect and cooperation.
"Within a few hours from this important meeting that promised a future full of expectations, everything changed," stressed the editorial. "The unexpected rejection allowing eggs and chickens to enter the Haitian territory on behalf of the authorities of that nation, has killed the joy."
The editorial of the Dominican Episcopal Conference, also points out that some Haitian officials forget that hasty and emotional decisions do nothing but worsen the conditions of poverty that affect millions of countrymen. "But before these disagreements we desire and hope that constructive dialogue prevails," said the weekly.
"It is hoped that the economic interests of some groups do not prevent civil development, because in these times of globalization it would be a serious mistake to close the doors. "Let us remember that we share the same territory and only together we can move forward," concludes the Catholic publication. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2013)
- 2015-10-29 - Archbishop Bretón Martínez contrary to the wall to prevent the entry of Haitians
- 2015-10-16 - "Learn to live with mutual respect": tension between Haiti and Dominican Republic decreases
- 2015-10-09 - Catholic Church and Public Health together against dengue
- 2015-10-06 - Tensions between Haiti and Santo Domingo for economic measures, the Bishops denounce those who sow discord
- 2015-09-30 - First "regional dialogue" against food waste
- 2015-09-25 - Thousands of pilgrims for the feast of the Patron saint of the country
- 2015-09-22 - Dengue: alert in hospitals and health centers in the Country
- 2015-08-04 - “Haiti refuses to help its own emigrants to regularise their status ” Dominican Republic intellectuals claim
- 2015-08-03 - Migrants: Bishops call for definitive solution
- 2015-07-24 - “Working at prevention” can put an end to violence, says Bishop Peña Rodríguez