AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A nationalism that creates tension is not part of Caribbean cohabitation
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic weekly "Camino" denounced the existence of groups that are promoting "a worrying nationalism" with the crisis triggered by the prohibition imposed by the authorities of Haiti regarding the import of poultry from the Dominican Republic.
In its last editorial, "Camino" invites two Caribbean countries to "prudence and wisdom," pointing out that the recent meeting of the Presidents, the Dominican, Danilo Medina, and the Haitian, Michel Martelly, in Ouanaminthe (Haiti) had created "hopes and expectations" on the strengthening of bilateral relations on the basis of harmony, respect and cooperation.
"Within a few hours from this important meeting that promised a future full of expectations, everything changed," stressed the editorial. "The unexpected rejection allowing eggs and chickens to enter the Haitian territory on behalf of the authorities of that nation, has killed the joy."
The editorial of the Dominican Episcopal Conference, also points out that some Haitian officials forget that hasty and emotional decisions do nothing but worsen the conditions of poverty that affect millions of countrymen. "But before these disagreements we desire and hope that constructive dialogue prevails," said the weekly.
"It is hoped that the economic interests of some groups do not prevent civil development, because in these times of globalization it would be a serious mistake to close the doors. "Let us remember that we share the same territory and only together we can move forward," concludes the Catholic publication. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2013)
- 2015-03-16 - Appeal of the Church in the Dominican Republic and Haiti: "Respect the human dignity of migrants"
- 2015-01-28 - Tension on the border with Haiti: appeal to the authorities of both countries
- 2014-10-07 - Requests on behalf of the National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Austerity and solidarity with workers,
- 2014-10-03 - "A people on a mission, sensitive towards solidarity": the National Assembly of Pastoral care is underway
- 2014-09-23 - Public opinion divided on the request for the withdrawal of UNHCR from the country
- 2014-07-22 - Although some people promote hate, the Church is committed to peaceful coexistence
- 2014-07-07 - Fearless against violence and insecurity, the conclusions of the Bishops’ Assembly
- 2014-07-01 - Still difficulty for many undocumented Haitians
- 2014-06-10 - A motorway to unite the country ... even the Church is moving
- 2014-05-27 - Emergency for public hospitals in the Country