AFRICA/MALI - Meeting of Caritas on the humanitarian crisis in Mali
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - The meeting of the Steering Committee (COPIL) of Caritas, that have initiated a program of emergency aid to help people affected by the crisis in the north of Mali, begins today in Bamako.
According to a statement sent to Fides Agency the meeting, which will end on June 26, will discuss among other things the level of funding of the regional Emergency Appeal (EA 38/12/2012), the progress of the project activities and the knowledge learned in the course of its management, also in relation to the collaboration between the 4 Caritas of Sahel (Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger and Senegal) and other Caritas involved. In fact Caritas Italian and Caritas Spain collaborate in the project Caritas Internationalis.
The regional Emergency Appeal is based on three points: assistance to internally displaced persons, refugees and communities affected by the crisis in Mali through a regional approach; improvement of the technical and operational capacity of Caritas in the Sahel region to cope with the demands generated by the Malian events; improvement of coordination and communication systems of the four Caritas of Sahel to increase the capacity to respond to humanitarian crises in the region. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/06/2013)
- 2015-09-09 - Three million people are suffering food insecurity, among them 715,000 children
- 2015-06-24 - The peace agreement signed in a climate of emotion and conviviality
- 2015-05-25 - Despite the latest violence, one hopes in the talks in Algiers in order to reach peace
- 2015-05-06 - President of the Episcopal Conference:"Mali wants peace, Muslims have suffered the violence of the jihadists"
- 2015-03-09 - The attack on the UN base in Kidal and the bombing in Bamako committed by the same group
- 2014-11-25 - Other kidnappings of children in a climate of instability due to the presence of armed groups
- 2014-11-21 - AFRICA/MALI – Ebola: annual pilgrimage postponed
- 2014-10-06 - "It is necessary to stabilize the south of Libya in order to stop the attacks in Mali", said the Secretary of the Bishops' Conference
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/MALI – More than 3 million suffer food shortage, some 50,000 could starve to death before the end of 2014
- 2013-09-06 - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy