AMERICA/BRAZIL - Waiting for the Bishops’ statement regarding the demonstrations
Uberaba (Agenzia Fides) - The population is waiting to hear today’s, 21 June, press conference in Brasilia, from the Presidency of the Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) for an "official statement" about what is happening in the cities of Brazil. The Bishops, who have gathered in general assembly in these days, invited and listened to several specialists, who together with the Commission's policy of the CNBB, depicted a picture of the economic and social policy of Brazil, and that will probably be released today.
The Brazilian press has announced several individual statements by Bishops on the demonstrations. One of them, Mgr. Paulo Mendes Peixoto, Archbishop of Uberaba, in the State of Minas Gerais said that, in his opinion, the demonstrations "express the indignation of the people in front of impunity and mismanagement, and dissatisfaction concerning the actions of politicians who do not give adequate responses to the needs of the people."
Meanwhile, authorities in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo have announced the cancellation of bus, subway and train fare rise, after two weeks of social protests that intensified as a result of police repression in recent days. A person died and 80 were injured in yesterday’s clashes.
The decision to block the fare increase was however not enough to stop the demonstrations. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/06/2013)
- 2014-04-07 - CIMI delivers a document on the suffering of the indigenous peoples of the Amazon to the Pope
- 2014-04-04 - "He taught us that in order for the Gospel to be proclaimed it must be acculturated": Brazil and Spain in celebration for the canonization of "Father Anchieta"
- 2014-04-02 - "For a future in freedom and democracy": Bishops' message after 50 years since the military coup
- 2014-03-26 - The Brazilian Church accompanies the World Cup inviting to combat trafficking
- 2014-03-04 - " Fraternity and human trafficking", a constant struggle against this scourge
- 2014-02-17 - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
- 2014-02-06 - Cardinal Filoni: "The announcement ad gentes is part of the responsibility that all the particular Churches have toward Christ"
- 2014-02-04 - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
- 2014-02-03 - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
- 2014-01-23 - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio