AMERICA/BRAZIL - Waiting for the Bishops’ statement regarding the demonstrations
Uberaba (Agenzia Fides) - The population is waiting to hear today’s, 21 June, press conference in Brasilia, from the Presidency of the Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) for an "official statement" about what is happening in the cities of Brazil. The Bishops, who have gathered in general assembly in these days, invited and listened to several specialists, who together with the Commission's policy of the CNBB, depicted a picture of the economic and social policy of Brazil, and that will probably be released today.
The Brazilian press has announced several individual statements by Bishops on the demonstrations. One of them, Mgr. Paulo Mendes Peixoto, Archbishop of Uberaba, in the State of Minas Gerais said that, in his opinion, the demonstrations "express the indignation of the people in front of impunity and mismanagement, and dissatisfaction concerning the actions of politicians who do not give adequate responses to the needs of the people."
Meanwhile, authorities in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo have announced the cancellation of bus, subway and train fare rise, after two weeks of social protests that intensified as a result of police repression in recent days. A person died and 80 were injured in yesterday’s clashes.
The decision to block the fare increase was however not enough to stop the demonstrations. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/06/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization
- 2014-07-16 - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
- 2014-07-04 - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"
- 2014-06-30 - Exploitation of children: from the World Cup to the Winter Olympics 2016
- 2014-06-24 - "Mission to relieve" the missionary campaign against human trafficking in persons
- 2014-06-23 - The tragedy of child prostitution behind the glitz of the World Cup
- 2014-06-17 - Social inclusion and missionary work, the commitment of the Church in Brazil for Haiti continues
- 2014-06-12 - The World Cup begins with a "Red Card to Child Labour"
- 2014-06-11 - "The only goal that matters is the demarcation of our lands", say the indigenous