AMERICA/BRAZIL - Waiting for the Bishops’ statement regarding the demonstrations
Uberaba (Agenzia Fides) - The population is waiting to hear today’s, 21 June, press conference in Brasilia, from the Presidency of the Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) for an "official statement" about what is happening in the cities of Brazil. The Bishops, who have gathered in general assembly in these days, invited and listened to several specialists, who together with the Commission's policy of the CNBB, depicted a picture of the economic and social policy of Brazil, and that will probably be released today.
The Brazilian press has announced several individual statements by Bishops on the demonstrations. One of them, Mgr. Paulo Mendes Peixoto, Archbishop of Uberaba, in the State of Minas Gerais said that, in his opinion, the demonstrations "express the indignation of the people in front of impunity and mismanagement, and dissatisfaction concerning the actions of politicians who do not give adequate responses to the needs of the people."
Meanwhile, authorities in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo have announced the cancellation of bus, subway and train fare rise, after two weeks of social protests that intensified as a result of police repression in recent days. A person died and 80 were injured in yesterday’s clashes.
The decision to block the fare increase was however not enough to stop the demonstrations. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/06/2013)
- 2015-08-28 - Scalabrinians: international meeting to find new answers to the issue of migration
- 2015-08-19 - "Church and mining activity": testimonies and experiences in defense of life and territories
- 2015-08-18 - Local Catholic Church demands guaranteed rights for migrants
- 2015-08-13 - Tension between Haitians and locals, Haitian citizen mortally wounded
- 2015-08-11 - National Family Week, an event that grows in Brazil
- 2015-08-08 - Pilgrimage in the heart of the Amazon in defense of creation and to remember Sister Dorothy Stang
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Franciscan Sister murdered
- 2015-07-23 - Mission Campaign 2015: material ready
- 2015-07-21 - The water crisis threatens millions of people
- 2015-07-20 - A video documents the first missionary experience of young people in the Amazon