AMERICA/BRAZIL - Waiting for the Bishops’ statement regarding the demonstrations
Uberaba (Agenzia Fides) - The population is waiting to hear today’s, 21 June, press conference in Brasilia, from the Presidency of the Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) for an "official statement" about what is happening in the cities of Brazil. The Bishops, who have gathered in general assembly in these days, invited and listened to several specialists, who together with the Commission's policy of the CNBB, depicted a picture of the economic and social policy of Brazil, and that will probably be released today.
The Brazilian press has announced several individual statements by Bishops on the demonstrations. One of them, Mgr. Paulo Mendes Peixoto, Archbishop of Uberaba, in the State of Minas Gerais said that, in his opinion, the demonstrations "express the indignation of the people in front of impunity and mismanagement, and dissatisfaction concerning the actions of politicians who do not give adequate responses to the needs of the people."
Meanwhile, authorities in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo have announced the cancellation of bus, subway and train fare rise, after two weeks of social protests that intensified as a result of police repression in recent days. A person died and 80 were injured in yesterday’s clashes.
The decision to block the fare increase was however not enough to stop the demonstrations. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/06/2013)
- 2015-10-10 - The Church: it is urgent to save abandoned children and adolescents who have disappeared
- 2015-09-16 - "How many people have to die before they have justice?", since 1983 at least 50 indigenous leaders have been killed
- 2015-09-15 - Preparation for World Mission Sunday 2015 begins
- 2015-09-14 - Early Marriages: still half a million young newlyweds between 15 to 17 years of age
- 2015-09-03 - The memory of the missionary Fr. Ezechiele Ramin is still alive even 30 years after his assassination
- 2015-08-28 - Scalabrinians: international meeting to find new answers to the issue of migration
- 2015-08-19 - "Church and mining activity": testimonies and experiences in defense of life and territories
- 2015-08-18 - Local Catholic Church demands guaranteed rights for migrants
- 2015-08-13 - Tension between Haitians and locals, Haitian citizen mortally wounded
- 2015-08-11 - National Family Week, an event that grows in Brazil