AMERICA/BRAZIL - Waiting for the Bishops’ statement regarding the demonstrations
Uberaba (Agenzia Fides) - The population is waiting to hear today’s, 21 June, press conference in Brasilia, from the Presidency of the Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) for an "official statement" about what is happening in the cities of Brazil. The Bishops, who have gathered in general assembly in these days, invited and listened to several specialists, who together with the Commission's policy of the CNBB, depicted a picture of the economic and social policy of Brazil, and that will probably be released today.
The Brazilian press has announced several individual statements by Bishops on the demonstrations. One of them, Mgr. Paulo Mendes Peixoto, Archbishop of Uberaba, in the State of Minas Gerais said that, in his opinion, the demonstrations "express the indignation of the people in front of impunity and mismanagement, and dissatisfaction concerning the actions of politicians who do not give adequate responses to the needs of the people."
Meanwhile, authorities in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo have announced the cancellation of bus, subway and train fare rise, after two weeks of social protests that intensified as a result of police repression in recent days. A person died and 80 were injured in yesterday’s clashes.
The decision to block the fare increase was however not enough to stop the demonstrations. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/06/2013)
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues
- 2014-11-24 - There are now 500 thousand signatures which have been collected for the Democratic Political Reform
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate
- 2014-09-17 - Join forces for joint action: establishment of the "Red Eclesial Pan-Amazon"