EUROPE/SPAIN - Millions of children sold as slaves around the world
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - On June 12 we celebrate the Day Against Child Labour, and for this occasion the Salesian Missions, in their campaign "No estoy en venta", have denounced over a million children worldwide who are victims of trafficking and more than nine million slaves. The missionaries claim that more than 300,000 children in West Africa and young girls are sold and end up in the ranks of the mafia, who in turn sell them to make them work as domestic servants, in the fields, in the mines, in the markets or to make them work as prostitutes. Despite countries like Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Gabon, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo, have signed international conventions for the protection of minors, the States do not invest the necessary funds, and it is easier for criminal gangs to pay a child less than 50,00 EUR promising the family a better life, education and money. Among the main causes that aggravate the phenomenon, the Salesian missionaries claim poverty, the demand for cheap labor, conflicts, tradition or gender disparities. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 04/06/2013)
- 2015-04-24 - Migrants: disappointment for the CIE Regulation, approved a year ago and still unrealized
- 2015-04-21 - The Bishops in assembly: Mission, emigration and social crisis
- 2015-03-31 - UNHCR report: Almost 6000 applications for asylum in Spain in 2014
- 2015-03-25 - March 26: Day of Prayer for Peace in the fifth centenary of Saint Teresa
- 2015-03-20 - Every minute a child dies due to lack of drinking water
- 2015-03-16 - Pastor of the Shrine of Virxe do Cristal killed
- 2015-03-10 - Migration: "The Church is the critical conscience before the authorities"
- 2015-03-02 - Not always employment is the way out of social exclusion
- 2015-02-26 - Despite the crisis, the PMS in Spain has increased the support for missions by 20%
- 2015-02-13 - "The way we treat immigrants today will leave a mark in our history"