AFRICA/NIGER - About a dozen people have died in the assault in the prison in Niamey
Niamey (Agenzia Fides) - Ten people have died in the assault in the prison in Niamey on Saturday, June 1, during which about twenty prisoners escaped, including some dangerous jihadists. This was stated to Fides Agency by a missionary source from the capital of Niger. "The local authorities had initially reported two deaths among prison guards and one among the attackers. Their accomplices took advantage of the confusion to seize the weapons belonging to the guards and fled," says our source.
"According to what I was told by a reliable journalist, there at least 10 people who were killed by the explosion of a grenade," says our source.
"These are the effects of the Serval operations in Mali that drove the jihadists in the direction of neighboring Countries to Mali," continues our source. After the recent attacks in Arlit and Agadez the capital is now being hit. It is the first time, at least in recent times, that a thing like this happens in Niamey and now people are afraid and feel that the war fought thousands of miles from here, is real."
The missionary adds that "controls next to the embassies have been strengthened. Cars are carefully checked by soldiers in new checkpoints scattered along the main streets of the capital."
"Concern increases even among the Christian community because on Sunday, June 9 the ceremony of consecration of Bishop Laurent Djalwana Lompo, Auxiliary Bishop of Niamey will be held, the first Nigerien to be consecrated Bishop. The ceremony is scheduled to be held at the sports hall," concludes our source. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/06/2013)
- 2015-01-27 - Anti-Christian violence: the Bishops reaffirm their friendship with the Muslim community
- 2015-01-22 - Anti-Christian Violence: Bishops suspend all activities of the Church
- 2015-01-22 - Churches and convents burned, schools and dispensaries closed
- 2015-01-15 - medical centre in Dosso, for the welfare of women and children
- 2015-01-07 - The Archbishop of Niamey: "More and more young Nigeriens are being enlisted in the Boko Haram movement, especially in the region of Diffa"
- 2014-11-21 - Malaria: preventive treatment to 735 000 children
- 2014-10-02 - The Bishops' message to the Muslim community: "May the example of Abraham bear fruits of mutual respect"
- 2014-07-18 - New French military mission for the Sahel, but not everyone agrees
- 2014-04-30 - Bishops alarm: "The political situation is serious; the democratic climate is deteriorating day by day"
- 2014-04-25 - Malaria: Each year more than a million people die, mostly in Africa