AFRICA/NIGER - About a dozen people have died in the assault in the prison in Niamey
Niamey (Agenzia Fides) - Ten people have died in the assault in the prison in Niamey on Saturday, June 1, during which about twenty prisoners escaped, including some dangerous jihadists. This was stated to Fides Agency by a missionary source from the capital of Niger. "The local authorities had initially reported two deaths among prison guards and one among the attackers. Their accomplices took advantage of the confusion to seize the weapons belonging to the guards and fled," says our source.
"According to what I was told by a reliable journalist, there at least 10 people who were killed by the explosion of a grenade," says our source.
"These are the effects of the Serval operations in Mali that drove the jihadists in the direction of neighboring Countries to Mali," continues our source. After the recent attacks in Arlit and Agadez the capital is now being hit. It is the first time, at least in recent times, that a thing like this happens in Niamey and now people are afraid and feel that the war fought thousands of miles from here, is real."
The missionary adds that "controls next to the embassies have been strengthened. Cars are carefully checked by soldiers in new checkpoints scattered along the main streets of the capital."
"Concern increases even among the Christian community because on Sunday, June 9 the ceremony of consecration of Bishop Laurent Djalwana Lompo, Auxiliary Bishop of Niamey will be held, the first Nigerien to be consecrated Bishop. The ceremony is scheduled to be held at the sports hall," concludes our source. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/06/2013)
- 2015-07-06 - Noma severely affects the poorest and malnourished children
- 2015-05-21 - Civil society denounces: serious human rights violations in the east of the Country
- 2015-05-15 - Meningitis in Niger: 100 people hospitalized every day in Niamey
- 2015-04-09 - Bishops' message: "Easter, the feast of all the believers who work for peace"
- 2015-04-01 - "The churches burned in January will be protected at Easter, but then discrimination will continue as before", says a missionary
- 2015-02-19 - The day for demonstrations against Boko Haram a village is bombed by mistake on the border with Nigeria; 37 dead
- 2015-02-16 - March against Boko Haram; Christians call nation to unite
- 2015-02-14 - Testimony from Niamey: A source of inspiration for peaceful co-existence!
- 2015-02-10 - A missionary: "There is a growing feeling of anti-Christianity in Niger
- 2015-01-27 - Anti-Christian violence: the Bishops reaffirm their friendship with the Muslim community