EUROPE/SPAIN - Africa Day: Economic growth is not reflected on the population
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - On May 25, we celebrate Africa Day and, despite the macroeconomic estimates declare an increase of 5.1% in the continent in the last year, this is not reflected in the various sectors of society: the reduction of the poverty rate: almost 50% of Africans live below the poverty line and only 4% live with more than $ 10 a day. Moreover, food insecurity continues to be a scourge as well as a challenge for Africa, where 200 million people are affected. The same crisis is reflected in the health sector where there are huge disparities; with regards to education, although there is an increase in the rate of literacy, the quality is scarce; access to water is impossible to many and gender differences continue to be huge. Corruption, organized crime, ethnic violence, religious fundamentalism are just other aspects that penalize this great continent. 2 million people in 31 countries have benefitted from the various initiatives and projects in favor of the African population carried out by the NGO Manos Unidas of the Spanish Catholic Church. The favored sectors are agriculture, health care, social, education and in support of women. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/05/2013)
- 2015-04-24 - Migrants: disappointment for the CIE Regulation, approved a year ago and still unrealized
- 2015-04-21 - The Bishops in assembly: Mission, emigration and social crisis
- 2015-03-31 - UNHCR report: Almost 6000 applications for asylum in Spain in 2014
- 2015-03-25 - March 26: Day of Prayer for Peace in the fifth centenary of Saint Teresa
- 2015-03-20 - Every minute a child dies due to lack of drinking water
- 2015-03-16 - Pastor of the Shrine of Virxe do Cristal killed
- 2015-03-10 - Migration: "The Church is the critical conscience before the authorities"
- 2015-03-02 - Not always employment is the way out of social exclusion
- 2015-02-26 - Despite the crisis, the PMS in Spain has increased the support for missions by 20%
- 2015-02-13 - "The way we treat immigrants today will leave a mark in our history"