OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New project against trafficking and child labor in India
Melbourne (Agenzia Fides) - Every day, many children are abducted against their will, or sold by their families to be exploited in domestic work and prostitution. Many are also forced to beg on the streets just to survive. Some are forced into selling their organs on the black market.
Unfortunately, these young victims are considered to be simple objects. A statement by the Catholic Mission Australia sent to Fides, says that the organization officially promotes the 2013 campaign of the Propagation of the Faith under the theme 'Do not be afraid ... I will save you.' In the coming months the Catholic Mission will deal with the missionary response to the desperate reality of child trafficking and child labor in India and around the world, in all the parishes of Australia, as well as online and through a campaign via e-mail . All donations collected will be used to finance the activities of the Catholic Mission with communities in more than 160 countries around the world, providing support to entire parishes in their pastoral work. The campaign focuses on the great work of Sister Clara Devaraj and her Salesian Sisters who work tirelessly in Chennai, formerly known as Madras, where young girls are saved from the tragic circumstances connected to extreme poverty, they take care and provide them with a safe environment in their Children's Home Marialaya. With the support of the Catholic Mission, the sisters offer these victims, hospitality, counseling, medical care, education and spiritual formation. For the sisters, faith and action go together, therefore the objective is to protect these children and encourage them to see themselves as beloved children of God. Sister Clara will be in Australia on behalf of the Catholic Mission, from 6 to 27 June 2013 to promote the work of Marialaya in parishes and schools. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/05/2013)
- 2014-02-10 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Inhumane conditions for children held in detention centers for immigrants
- 2013-12-05 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The Australian Bishops are committed to spreading the Evangelii gaudium
- 2013-07-10 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Compassion towards immigrants: young Australians welcome Pope Francis’ appeal
- 2013-05-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New project against trafficking and child labor in India
- 2013-02-22 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Government tells Churches "homosexuals must not be discriminated against in social service"
- 2012-12-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New Catholic schools are born, enrollment increases
- 2012-11-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers and we are particularly concerned about the children": Council’s appeal for social justice
- 2012-10-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Catholic Mission: To restore hope to the people of the Philippines devastated by the Typhoon Ondoy
- 2012-04-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-Campaign of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Australia for Ethiopia's population
- 2012-03-29 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The support of the Australian Catholic to 195 dioceses in 38 nations through Catholic Mission