AMERICA/CHILE - "Candidates need to impress people with a real project," said the Bishop of Rancagua
Punta Arenas (Agenzia Fides) - "Today the Country has a formation that did not exist years ago, social networks have caused a huge cultural transformation, and those who want to govern the Country must take this into account" this is what His Exc. Mgr. Alejandro Goic Karmelic, Bishop of Rancagua and vice president of the Episcopal Conference of Chile said about the upcoming presidential elections: "Candidates - added Mgr. Goic Karmelic - must also submit a national project that is able to convince the vast majority of Chileans".
Mgr. Goic Karmelic spoke at length with journalists in the context of the celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the parish of Our Lady of Fatima in Punta Arenas (southern Chile) and where he was a pastor 44 years ago.
In the note sent to Fides, he also noted that in the next political campaign, the so-called "ethical salary" must be another issue to discuss, "because what is lacking in Chile is a more equitable distribution of income. Experts and studies say it: this is one of the most unequal Countries on earth because there are few who earn much and many who earn little, so how can we make a more equitable society? Stressed the Bishop of Rancagua.
"We must think about the poor and a worker with a family of 4 or 5 children and how they can live with what today is called the minimum salary" Concluded Mgr. Goic Karmelic.
The presidential elections in Chile will be held on November 17 this year, but the choice of candidates on behalf of political parties has already started. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/05/2013)
- 2015-07-01 - Procession at sea on Easter Island for St. Peter, praying for the Pope's visit
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church
- 2015-04-14 - Floods force more than 40 000 children not to go to school
- 2015-03-30 - Floods and landslides: 12 dead and thousands displaced, Caritas at work
- 2015-02-23 - Rudimental bomb explodes near a parish in the capital
- 2015-01-29 - "We have lost a great opportunity": criticism regarding the Law on Education