AMERICA/CHILE - "Candidates need to impress people with a real project," said the Bishop of Rancagua
Punta Arenas (Agenzia Fides) - "Today the Country has a formation that did not exist years ago, social networks have caused a huge cultural transformation, and those who want to govern the Country must take this into account" this is what His Exc. Mgr. Alejandro Goic Karmelic, Bishop of Rancagua and vice president of the Episcopal Conference of Chile said about the upcoming presidential elections: "Candidates - added Mgr. Goic Karmelic - must also submit a national project that is able to convince the vast majority of Chileans".
Mgr. Goic Karmelic spoke at length with journalists in the context of the celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the parish of Our Lady of Fatima in Punta Arenas (southern Chile) and where he was a pastor 44 years ago.
In the note sent to Fides, he also noted that in the next political campaign, the so-called "ethical salary" must be another issue to discuss, "because what is lacking in Chile is a more equitable distribution of income. Experts and studies say it: this is one of the most unequal Countries on earth because there are few who earn much and many who earn little, so how can we make a more equitable society? Stressed the Bishop of Rancagua.
"We must think about the poor and a worker with a family of 4 or 5 children and how they can live with what today is called the minimum salary" Concluded Mgr. Goic Karmelic.
The presidential elections in Chile will be held on November 17 this year, but the choice of candidates on behalf of political parties has already started. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/05/2013)
- 2014-10-20 - A hundred thousand on a pilgrimage for the family to the shrine of the first Chilean Saint
- 2014-10-03 - Apostolic Vicar of Aysen awarded: "Water is also a problem of sovereignty"
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
- 2014-05-30 - AMERICA/CHILE – Local Catholic Church committed to educational reform nation wide
- 2014-05-07 - The decline in vocations to priesthood at the center of the Assembly of Bishops of Chile
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire
- 2014-01-09 - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco
- 2013-12-17 - "Supporting initiatives in favor of development": the President of the Bishops' Conference meets newly elected President Bachelet