ASIA/INDIA - Converted to Christ from Hinduism: two families persecuted in Orissa
Dhenkanal (Agenzia Fides) - Persecuted because converted. Mohan Soren of the village of Dengabahali and Rabi Narayan Marandi, from the village of Bhalu Tanggaro, both in the district of Dhenkanal in the state of Orissa, two Indian citizens converted to Christianity freely, along with their respective families, in February 2013 . As local sources reported to Fides, both families therefore stopped participating in the "puja" rites of their village (traditional Hindu rites of homage and offering to the gods, ed) and stopped giving their contribution to the temple. For this reason the angry villagers started to marginalize them. In recent days, an angry mob entered Monah Soren’s house, robbing him and looting the house. Rabi Narayan Marandi was instead beaten and the crowd told both families to immediately leave the villages. Frightened, the Christians escaped and found temporary accommodation thanks to some families in neighboring villages.
In the following days, Christians informed the local police, but the police took no action. The two families fear further attacks. The local Christian communities are showing their solidarity with practical help and prayer. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 15/05/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - The Bishops to the President: We will give a great contribution to the country
- 2014-03-27 - Street children who live in train stations rescued by a Catholic priest
- 2014-03-21 - "Do justice": the Indian Church next to the weakest
- 2014-03-14 - Three convicted and six acquitted for the rape of a nun in the massacres of Christians in Orissa
- 2014-03-12 - "A just peace! "Church's solidarity with the people of Syria
- 2014-03-10 - Christians in Goa ask: To postpone the elections scheduled on Holy Thursday
- 2014-03-10 - Attack in a prayer hall in Orissa, two people arrested
- 2014-03-07 - Where to be born female is considered "a disaster "
- 2014-03-05 - Religious freedom at risk and violence against minorities, in view of the general elections
- 2014-03-03 - Two men accused of having participated in the murder of the missionary Graham Staines have been acquitted