ASIA/INDIA - Converted to Christ from Hinduism: two families persecuted in Orissa
Dhenkanal (Agenzia Fides) - Persecuted because converted. Mohan Soren of the village of Dengabahali and Rabi Narayan Marandi, from the village of Bhalu Tanggaro, both in the district of Dhenkanal in the state of Orissa, two Indian citizens converted to Christianity freely, along with their respective families, in February 2013 . As local sources reported to Fides, both families therefore stopped participating in the "puja" rites of their village (traditional Hindu rites of homage and offering to the gods, ed) and stopped giving their contribution to the temple. For this reason the angry villagers started to marginalize them. In recent days, an angry mob entered Monah Soren’s house, robbing him and looting the house. Rabi Narayan Marandi was instead beaten and the crowd told both families to immediately leave the villages. Frightened, the Christians escaped and found temporary accommodation thanks to some families in neighboring villages.
In the following days, Christians informed the local police, but the police took no action. The two families fear further attacks. The local Christian communities are showing their solidarity with practical help and prayer. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 15/05/2013)
- 2014-09-17 - ASIA/INDIA – The Bishop after the flood: "In Kashmir we are like Ground Zero"
- 2014-09-16 - Cardinal Ranjith: “With Francesco to remain in the love of the Lord”
- 2014-09-16 - Bishops’ Justice and Peace Commission: a ray of hope for India’s minorities
- 2014-09-15 - ASIA/INDIA – Floods in Kashmir: Jesuits appeal for help
- 2014-09-12 - The Franciscan leadership? Creative and aimed at the poor
- 2014-09-10 - ASIA/INDIA – Catholics in southern India: urgent instruction Christian families
- 2014-09-05 - ASIA/INDIA – Teachers Day: Mother Teresa, teacher ‘par excellence’
- 2014-09-04 - May the Year of Consecrated Life become a ‘lived reality’
- 2014-09-03 - ASIA/INDIA – Floods in Orissa: Caritas appeal for the victims
- 2014-09-02 - Catholic school headmaster beaten and detained on false charges