ASIA/INDIA - Converted to Christ from Hinduism: two families persecuted in Orissa
Dhenkanal (Agenzia Fides) - Persecuted because converted. Mohan Soren of the village of Dengabahali and Rabi Narayan Marandi, from the village of Bhalu Tanggaro, both in the district of Dhenkanal in the state of Orissa, two Indian citizens converted to Christianity freely, along with their respective families, in February 2013 . As local sources reported to Fides, both families therefore stopped participating in the "puja" rites of their village (traditional Hindu rites of homage and offering to the gods, ed) and stopped giving their contribution to the temple. For this reason the angry villagers started to marginalize them. In recent days, an angry mob entered Monah Soren’s house, robbing him and looting the house. Rabi Narayan Marandi was instead beaten and the crowd told both families to immediately leave the villages. Frightened, the Christians escaped and found temporary accommodation thanks to some families in neighboring villages.
In the following days, Christians informed the local police, but the police took no action. The two families fear further attacks. The local Christian communities are showing their solidarity with practical help and prayer. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 15/05/2013)
- 2015-11-25 - Day for Dalits dedicated to climate and environment
- 2015-11-20 - Cardinal Gracias: "This is how we will live the Jubilee of Mercy"
- 2015-11-17 - Aggression against Christians to "convert to Hinduism"
- 2015-11-12 - Appeal to Prime Minister Modi: "Protect religious minorities"
- 2015-11-10 - Depression, mental and emotional disorders for orphans, victims of armed conflict
- 2015-11-06 - Son of a Protestant pastor kidnapped
- 2015-11-04 - Hindu extremists against the growth of the Christian and Muslim population
- 2015-11-03 - The Report of the Commission of Inquiry on anti-Christian violence in Orissa is being prepared
- 2015-10-29 - Cardinal Alencherry: "India has to deal with serious issues, not the consumption of beef"
- 2015-10-24 - Dalit infants burnt alive: Bishops deplore inhuman act