ASIA/INDIA - Converted to Christ from Hinduism: two families persecuted in Orissa
Dhenkanal (Agenzia Fides) - Persecuted because converted. Mohan Soren of the village of Dengabahali and Rabi Narayan Marandi, from the village of Bhalu Tanggaro, both in the district of Dhenkanal in the state of Orissa, two Indian citizens converted to Christianity freely, along with their respective families, in February 2013 . As local sources reported to Fides, both families therefore stopped participating in the "puja" rites of their village (traditional Hindu rites of homage and offering to the gods, ed) and stopped giving their contribution to the temple. For this reason the angry villagers started to marginalize them. In recent days, an angry mob entered Monah Soren’s house, robbing him and looting the house. Rabi Narayan Marandi was instead beaten and the crowd told both families to immediately leave the villages. Frightened, the Christians escaped and found temporary accommodation thanks to some families in neighboring villages.
In the following days, Christians informed the local police, but the police took no action. The two families fear further attacks. The local Christian communities are showing their solidarity with practical help and prayer. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 15/05/2013)
- 2014-12-23 - At Christmas, the "Day of good governance": Christians approve
- 2014-12-19 - Education, food and protection for orphaned girls
- 2014-12-19 - Christian leaders: "Christmas with a heavy heart because of the violence against Churches"
- 2014-12-16 - Year of the consecrated life: Sisters in brothels to save the enslaved prostitutes
- 2014-12-11 - Catholics: "The government must not encourage Hindu extremists"
- 2014-12-09 - Human Rights Day: Bishops focus on minorities, religious, tribals and Dalit
- 2014-12-06 - Artists of different faiths reflect on Saint Francis Xavier
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/INDIA – Protection for churches and religious freedom: Franciscans mobilise
- 2014-12-03 - “Treated worse than animals”: dramatic situation of women with psychological or intellectual disabilities
- 2014-12-03 - Srinagar and appointment of successor