AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - New tensions in the South African platinum mines
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - "Tension is still very high. We are concerned," says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Kevin Dowling, Bishop of Rustenburg, near Marikana where the miners of platinum mines are in turmoil after the murder of a trade unionist on Sunday, May 12,. The man, Mawethu Steven, worked for the AMCU, the most intransigent union in negotiations with mining companies. Two other people were subsequently killed by unknown persons who claim to seek another trade unionist of the NUM, the historic miners' union, criticized by workers because it is seen as the least intransigent.
"With regads to these murders we have to wait for the conclusions of the police investigation. It is very difficult to disentangle in this matter to find the truth," said Mgr. Dowling.
Mawethu Steven had to testify at a trial regarding the killing in August 2012 of 34 miners by the police during a previous protest (see Fides 28/8/2012). "This trial is a further element of agitation to which is added the announcement by Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) of the dismissal of 6,000 miners. These are factors that increase the tension in the area," the Bishop concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2013)
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Let us pay tribute to Mandela fighting for his ideals", write the Catholic Bishops
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Parish priest brutally assaulted in Pretoria
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Corruption is theft from the poor " denounce the Bishops of Southern Africa
- 2013-06-05 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Protect Somali nationals in South Africa", The Prime Minister of Somalia’s appeal to President Zuma
- 2013-05-18 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The Bishops say they want explanations for the apparent misuse of State property for a private wedding
- 2013-05-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - New tensions in the South African platinum mines
- 2013-04-26 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - The South African Bishops "regret" the approval of the Protection of State Information Bill
- 2013-03-14 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "The Church needs Pope Francis’ simple gestures," said Bishop Ponce de Leon who knew him
- 2012-10-12 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Violence on the rise: trade unions are losing control of the protest" said the Bishop of Rustenburg
- 2012-10-08 AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - Still tensions for the miners made redundant, trade unionists targeted by mysterious killer