AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - New tensions in the South African platinum mines
Johannesburg (Agenzia Fides) - "Tension is still very high. We are concerned," says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Kevin Dowling, Bishop of Rustenburg, near Marikana where the miners of platinum mines are in turmoil after the murder of a trade unionist on Sunday, May 12,. The man, Mawethu Steven, worked for the AMCU, the most intransigent union in negotiations with mining companies. Two other people were subsequently killed by unknown persons who claim to seek another trade unionist of the NUM, the historic miners' union, criticized by workers because it is seen as the least intransigent.
"With regads to these murders we have to wait for the conclusions of the police investigation. It is very difficult to disentangle in this matter to find the truth," said Mgr. Dowling.
Mawethu Steven had to testify at a trial regarding the killing in August 2012 of 34 miners by the police during a previous protest (see Fides 28/8/2012). "This trial is a further element of agitation to which is added the announcement by Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) of the dismissal of 6,000 miners. These are factors that increase the tension in the area," the Bishop concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2013)
- 2015-05-06 - South African Bishops' donate money for the victims of xenophobic violence
- 2015-04-29 - Police arrest three people in connection with the murder of Sister Stefani Tiefenbacher
- 2015-04-21 - Natal: a life dedicated to poor children for 60 years
- 2015-04-17 - The Bishops condemn the outburst of xenophobic violence: "we are a nation of peace who conquered apartheid"
- 2015-02-18 - Bishops: “No to human trafficking, abominable business and one of the most profitable”
- 2015-02-16 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Chaos in Parliament; after 20 years of democracy the nation deserves better the Catholic Bishops say
- 2015-01-29 - The Bishops: "We pay tribute to the consecrated who founded the local Church"
- 2014-11-28 - Bishops reaffirm that the ordination of women to the priesthood is not recognised in the Catholic Church
- 2014-09-30 - Prayers in South Africa for the recognition of the martyrdom of Benedict Daswa
- 2014-09-02 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – New National Director of the Pontifical Missionary Societies appointed