ASIA/INDIA - Allegations of "forced conversions": Hindu extremists against Christians in Kerala
Kochi (Agenzia Fides) - The Hindu radicals also commit violence against Christians in the state of Kerala, in South India. In Kerala Christians make up 20% of the population and are a part of society very much appreciated for the great effort in the field of education. The raids of Hindu extremist groups are rare, but some episodes begin to arouse bewilderment. As reported to Fides Agency by local sources, about a month ago a large gathering of Christian communities at the "New Hope Bible College" in Palunda, in Kerala, was abruptly interrupted by the irruption of over 150 Hindu beloging to the group "Aikyavedi" an organization of fundamentalist trait. The militants began to beat the believers and organizers, accusing them of "converting with force poor and marginalized people to Christianity ", who were present at the meeting. Christians immediately called the police who reached the spot, had talks with the inbà militants and Christian leaders. To calm things down, the organizers decided to dismiss all non-Christians who had been invited to the meeting and were participating as observers. The Hindu radicals decided to vent their anger on a photographer of the local newspaper "Swantham", who is hospitalized. At the end of the Convention, while the faithful were leaving the college, their cars and coaches were hit by stones. Fides sources recall that Kerala has always given to the whole country "an example of harmony among faiths", reiterating the commitment of Christians to build a peaceful coexistence, in the respect for freedom of religion, guaranteed by the Constitution of India. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2013)
- 2013-12-05 ASIA/INDIA - St. Teresa of Avila speaks to Asia
- 2013-12-04 ASIA/INDIA - Faithful mobilization after the murder of a Christian child
- 2013-12-02 ASIA/INDIA - Christian missionaries denounced for "conversion of the tribals"
- 2013-11-26 ASIA/INDIA - Archbishop Menamparampil: " Persecuted? Beware of false martyrdom and proselytism"
- 2013-11-21 ASIA/INDIA - Ecumenical and simultaneous prayer across India, for justice and reconciliation
- 2013-11-15 ASIA/INDIA - India needs a "Magna Carta" for children's rights
- 2013-11-09 ASIA/INDIA - A Bishop of Orissa: "The Church relieves the suffering of the people affected by the cyclone"
- 2013-11-07 ASIA/INDIA - A Bishop reiterates the "right to catechism" for children
- 2013-11-06 ASIA/INDIA - Bishop of Kerala to the government: give a home to the homeless
- 2013-10-30 ASIA/INDIA - 54 Hindu extremists responsible for anti-Christian violence in Orissa have been acquitted