AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The suffering of immigrants has to stop!" says Cardinal Dolan
New York City (Agenzia Fides) - "Now is the time to face the issue," said the Cardinal of New York, His Excellency Timothy Dolan, president of the Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), intervening in the debate on the reform of the immigration system. "There are people who are displaced and an unknown number of families are divided. There are human beings who continue to die in the American desert. This suffering must end!"
The Catholic Church has a lot to offer to the national debate on immigration, given the history of the Church as a community of Catholic immigrants, "because we have welcomed several waves of immigrants in our parishes, because we have social service programs, hospitals and schools," said Cardinal Dolan. "As Pastor of the Archdiocese of the city with perhaps the largest number of immigrants in the world, I know very well the great efforts made by the Catholic community in favor of immigrants."
The note sent to Fides, reported that the press Conference of Cardinal Dolan coincides with the beginning, May 8, of the work of the Senate Committee that has to discuss the draft reform of the law on migration. Mgr. José H. Gomez Archbishop of Los Angeles, President of the USCCB Committee on Migration, and Mgr. John C. Wester Bishop of Salt Lake City, President of the USCCB Committee for Communications were also present at the press Conference. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/05/2013)
- 2015-10-24 - Bishop says: “repatriation for minors is sometimes a death sentence
- 2015-10-23 - “We still have a humanitarian crisis on our hands”: testimony of El Paso Bishop
- 2015-09-07 - New health center for basic assistance and nutrition for women and children
- 2015-08-20 - Over 50 thousand Hispanics waiting for the Pope in Washington
- 2015-08-06 - Mgr. Farrell remembers Catholics the duty to welcome foreigners
- 2015-08-05 - Bishops praise Obama's plan to cutt carbon dioxide emissions
- 2015-07-29 - Local Catholic Church applauds order to release detained Central American families
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"