AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Planned destruction of Christian churches" the Bishops denounce
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation in the Central African Republic has deeply worsened with the coming to power of the rebel leader who proclaimed himself President of the Republic," says a stern message of the Episcopal Commission for Justice and Peace, sent to Fides Agency.
Michel Djotodia took power on March 24 after the rebel coalition Seleka conquered the capital, Bangui.
Since then the violence and looting against civilians and Christian communities have multiplied, while in the Country, denounces the document, signed by Mgr. Albert Vanbuel, Bishop of Kaga-Bandoro and President of "Justice and Peace", "an unhealthy climate " has been established, favored by the "absence of the administration, and the violations of constitutional and human rights."
The Church denounces "a rebellion characterized by religious extremism, by the evil intentions for the programmed and planned desecration and destruction of religious Christian buildings, and in particular the Catholic and Protestant churches."
"All over the country the Catholic Church has paid a high price" denounces the statement. "Some dioceses such as Kaga-Bandoro, Bambari, Alindao, Bangassou and Bossangoa have been seriously damaged. A rebellion in search of easy prey has caused serious consequences for the population "
Even some priests and religious women have been attacked in recent months.
"Justice and Peace" appeals to national dialogue to get the country out from the brink of violence and forwards the proposal to establish a Truth and Reconciliation Commission. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/08/2013)
- 2014-09-18 - "He protected the Muslims": the Alison Des Forges Award to a Central African camillian
- 2014-09-16 - “Central African crisis not insuperable” says Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-08-18 - The Archbishop of Bangui to politicians "stop the suffering of the people as soon as possible"
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
- 2014-07-08 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
- 2014-07-01 - Twelve thousand refugees in the Cathedral of Bambari, the Bishop's appeal to Fides
- 2014-06-30 - "Civil society organizes itself, but authorities do not always help", says a missionary
- 2014-06-12 - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence