AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Planned destruction of Christian churches" the Bishops denounce
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation in the Central African Republic has deeply worsened with the coming to power of the rebel leader who proclaimed himself President of the Republic," says a stern message of the Episcopal Commission for Justice and Peace, sent to Fides Agency.
Michel Djotodia took power on March 24 after the rebel coalition Seleka conquered the capital, Bangui.
Since then the violence and looting against civilians and Christian communities have multiplied, while in the Country, denounces the document, signed by Mgr. Albert Vanbuel, Bishop of Kaga-Bandoro and President of "Justice and Peace", "an unhealthy climate " has been established, favored by the "absence of the administration, and the violations of constitutional and human rights."
The Church denounces "a rebellion characterized by religious extremism, by the evil intentions for the programmed and planned desecration and destruction of religious Christian buildings, and in particular the Catholic and Protestant churches."
"All over the country the Catholic Church has paid a high price" denounces the statement. "Some dioceses such as Kaga-Bandoro, Bambari, Alindao, Bangassou and Bossangoa have been seriously damaged. A rebellion in search of easy prey has caused serious consequences for the population "
Even some priests and religious women have been attacked in recent months.
"Justice and Peace" appeals to national dialogue to get the country out from the brink of violence and forwards the proposal to establish a Truth and Reconciliation Commission. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/08/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam