AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A sad record to abolish: 5 million internally displaced persons
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - In Colombia there are 4.9000000 to 5.5000000 displaced according to the report prepared by the Church through the National Secretariat of Social Pastoral, on the basis of data collected by the Service Centre for Internally Displaced Persons.
The Catholic Church in Colombia has launched new actions to help people fleeing the civil war, through programs and projects implemented in 76 dioceses and 5,500 centers and parishes in the Country.
A note sent to Fides Agency by the Colombian Episcopal Conference (CEC), says that for 30 years the CEC has been dealing with this plague. In fact, 30 years ago, the CEC published an important report entitled "Human Rights: Displaced for the Violence in Colombia," which revealed the extent of the phenomenon.
According to the latest report by IDMC (Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre) Colombia is the first Country in the world with the largest number of internally displaced persons, followed by Syria and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors