AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A sad record to abolish: 5 million internally displaced persons
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - In Colombia there are 4.9000000 to 5.5000000 displaced according to the report prepared by the Church through the National Secretariat of Social Pastoral, on the basis of data collected by the Service Centre for Internally Displaced Persons.
The Catholic Church in Colombia has launched new actions to help people fleeing the civil war, through programs and projects implemented in 76 dioceses and 5,500 centers and parishes in the Country.
A note sent to Fides Agency by the Colombian Episcopal Conference (CEC), says that for 30 years the CEC has been dealing with this plague. In fact, 30 years ago, the CEC published an important report entitled "Human Rights: Displaced for the Violence in Colombia," which revealed the extent of the phenomenon.
According to the latest report by IDMC (Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre) Colombia is the first Country in the world with the largest number of internally displaced persons, followed by Syria and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2014-04-12 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA –"Schools of reconciliation" are born: initiative of the Church for young people
- 2014-04-09 - Respect for human rights for the victims of landmines
- 2014-04-03 - Indigenous children continue to die of hunger and chronic malnutrition
- 2014-03-31 - First study on hidden child victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-03-31 - Peace talks: conclusion of the 22nd session
- 2014-02-27 - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Dialogue between two parties on equal terms, not between weak and powerful
- 2014-02-24 - Colombians deported from Venezuela: Catholic Bishops in border area dioceses work to provide assistance and promote peace
- 2014-02-21 - The army must be armored against corruption
- 2014-02-20 - The children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu continue to die of hunger