AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A sad record to abolish: 5 million internally displaced persons
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - In Colombia there are 4.9000000 to 5.5000000 displaced according to the report prepared by the Church through the National Secretariat of Social Pastoral, on the basis of data collected by the Service Centre for Internally Displaced Persons.
The Catholic Church in Colombia has launched new actions to help people fleeing the civil war, through programs and projects implemented in 76 dioceses and 5,500 centers and parishes in the Country.
A note sent to Fides Agency by the Colombian Episcopal Conference (CEC), says that for 30 years the CEC has been dealing with this plague. In fact, 30 years ago, the CEC published an important report entitled "Human Rights: Displaced for the Violence in Colombia," which revealed the extent of the phenomenon.
According to the latest report by IDMC (Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre) Colombia is the first Country in the world with the largest number of internally displaced persons, followed by Syria and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation
- 2015-09-11 - Week of Peace: Colombians want a date for talks with the ELN
- 2015-09-07 - The Bishop of Cucuta marches in defense of the rights of Colombians
- 2015-09-03 - Meeting of the Bishops of Colombia and Venezuela on the border area crisis
- 2015-09-03 - Dengue haemorrhagic fever affects children in Huila
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC