AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A sad record to abolish: 5 million internally displaced persons
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - In Colombia there are 4.9000000 to 5.5000000 displaced according to the report prepared by the Church through the National Secretariat of Social Pastoral, on the basis of data collected by the Service Centre for Internally Displaced Persons.
The Catholic Church in Colombia has launched new actions to help people fleeing the civil war, through programs and projects implemented in 76 dioceses and 5,500 centers and parishes in the Country.
A note sent to Fides Agency by the Colombian Episcopal Conference (CEC), says that for 30 years the CEC has been dealing with this plague. In fact, 30 years ago, the CEC published an important report entitled "Human Rights: Displaced for the Violence in Colombia," which revealed the extent of the phenomenon.
According to the latest report by IDMC (Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre) Colombia is the first Country in the world with the largest number of internally displaced persons, followed by Syria and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2015-02-21 - Lent: multimedia “On the way to Easter”
- 2015-02-10 - The proposal of the FARC divides public opinion
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices