AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A sad record to abolish: 5 million internally displaced persons
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - In Colombia there are 4.9000000 to 5.5000000 displaced according to the report prepared by the Church through the National Secretariat of Social Pastoral, on the basis of data collected by the Service Centre for Internally Displaced Persons.
The Catholic Church in Colombia has launched new actions to help people fleeing the civil war, through programs and projects implemented in 76 dioceses and 5,500 centers and parishes in the Country.
A note sent to Fides Agency by the Colombian Episcopal Conference (CEC), says that for 30 years the CEC has been dealing with this plague. In fact, 30 years ago, the CEC published an important report entitled "Human Rights: Displaced for the Violence in Colombia," which revealed the extent of the phenomenon.
According to the latest report by IDMC (Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre) Colombia is the first Country in the world with the largest number of internally displaced persons, followed by Syria and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2014-11-21 - The request to continue peace talks: "Do not destroy the hope of Colombians"
- 2014-11-20 - Archbishop Monsalve Mejia: "The general kidnapped will soon be released"
- 2014-11-19 - Every hour two children are victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-11-18 - The Church condemns the abduction of the General and urges to continue peace talks
- 2014-11-17 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Peace talks have been suspended after general abducted
- 2014-11-13 - From victims of violence to the protagonists of peace
- 2014-11-12 - At least 19 countries around the world recruit child soldiers
- 2014-11-06 - "Cali is suffering a pandemic of violence", denounces Mgr. Monsalve Mejía
- 2014-10-29 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – There is a risk of an outbreak of Chikungunya and Dengue: 4,500 cases in the last two months
- 2014-10-29 - The Colombian dioceses ask to defend the rights of the indigenous peoples of the Pacific