AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A sad record to abolish: 5 million internally displaced persons
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - In Colombia there are 4.9000000 to 5.5000000 displaced according to the report prepared by the Church through the National Secretariat of Social Pastoral, on the basis of data collected by the Service Centre for Internally Displaced Persons.
The Catholic Church in Colombia has launched new actions to help people fleeing the civil war, through programs and projects implemented in 76 dioceses and 5,500 centers and parishes in the Country.
A note sent to Fides Agency by the Colombian Episcopal Conference (CEC), says that for 30 years the CEC has been dealing with this plague. In fact, 30 years ago, the CEC published an important report entitled "Human Rights: Displaced for the Violence in Colombia," which revealed the extent of the phenomenon.
According to the latest report by IDMC (Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre) Colombia is the first Country in the world with the largest number of internally displaced persons, followed by Syria and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"