AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Infant malnutrition remains a serious problem
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - In Latin America 12% of children under 5 years of age suffer from chronic malnutrition. Although there has been a decline, from 22% in 1990, the phenomenon is still painful. According to a document recently presented by UNICEF in Bogota, of the 24 Latin American and Caribbean countries, Guatemala is one where there is the highest prevalence of cases with 48% of malnourished children, amounting to 1,052,000. The country occupies the 25th place in a ranking of 81 countries, first place goes to India. In Latin America, Colombia is occupies the 37th position with 595,000 malnourished children under 5; Peru is 38th with 566,000; Venezuela 43rd with 458,000; Bolivia 47th with 333,000; Nicaragua 52nd with 149 thousand and El Salvador 53rd with 121,000; the Dominican Republic is 57th with 103,000; Panama 62th with 66 thousand and Costa Rica 74th with 20,000. In addition, it is estimated that 7.2 million children under five years of age suffer from rickets and 22.5 million suffer from anemia. The most critical time is the one that goes from pregnancy until the age of 2. On average, the rate of malnourished children in the world is 26%, equal to 165 million children. Three quarters of children under 5 with chronic malnutrition in the world live in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 18/04/2013)
- 2014-03-10 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishop of Maracay on the situation in the country: "There is no peace without justice"
- 2014-02-28 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Pray for Venezuela and discern events in the light of the Word of God
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Church at National Conference for Peace: find ways and means for dialogue to resolve the difficulties of Venezuela
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - “A process of reconciliation is necessary”, Bishops call dialogue to discover the truth
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Christians in prayer to accompany imminent National Peace Conference
- 2014-02-21 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa to the government: "dialogue that recognizes the country's problems "
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Funeral of the two Salesians killed: more than 50 years at the service of Venezuela
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Two Salesians killed and two others injured during a robbery, insecurity in the country is worrying
- 2014-02-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishop of Maracay: "One has the right to protest, but violence has to stop"
- 2014-02-14 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The government must listen to the people who protest" the voice of the Church after 3 deaths during demonstrations