AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Nicolas Maduro new Venezuelan President
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Nicolas Maduro, the candidate of the United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV) won the elections on Sunday, April 14th with 50.66% of votes. His mandate as President of Venezuela will end in 2019. The candidate representing the Democratic Unity Party, Henrique Capriles obtained 49.07% of the votes.
The note sent to Fides by Union Radio, also refers to the high participation of the population in the vote: 78.71% of electors voted, according to the president of the National Electoral Council, Tibisay Lucena. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/04/2013)
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene
- 2015-06-19 - "They have our support": Mgr. Conde receives young people on hunger strike and writes to the Pope
- 2015-06-05 - Appeal to the authorities in favor of protesters on hunger strike
- 2015-06-03 - The Church calls on the authorities to respond to the students on hunger strike
- 2015-05-30 - Six young people on hunger strike in a church in Caracas
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students