AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church calls for respect in political dialogue
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - After several days of declarations and tensions, the Catholic Church intervened to mediate in the conflict between the former Presidents (Pastrana and Uribe), with the current government, and invited them to have respect in the discussion and not to make the theme of peace an empty discussion. "One of the serious problems we have had in Colombia is that this issue has been the subject of empty discussions and not a serious policy, because authentic policy is the construction of the common good, which therefore seeks the good of the country, and is therefore an obligation for all," said Cardinal Rubén Salazar.
In the note sent to Fides, it says, "If Colombia must have a common goal, this should be peace, because we have never had it. We have always lived a story full of blood, of victims," said the Cardinal.
Cardinal Salazar expressed the Church's position in a meeting with the press to announce that on April 9, the Catholic Church will join the march in favor of the peace process that will take place throughout the Country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/04/2013)
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country
- 2014-06-28 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPs are increasing: the Church appeals to the authorities to resolve the crisis
- 2014-06-27 - The Church with regards to peace talks: Consider the pain of the victims
- 2014-06-20 - "The Church has helped me to find a land": in Colombia 5.5 million internally displaced persons
- 2014-06-14 - off in Colombia, the Church calls for dialogue and mutual respect