AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church calls for respect in political dialogue
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - After several days of declarations and tensions, the Catholic Church intervened to mediate in the conflict between the former Presidents (Pastrana and Uribe), with the current government, and invited them to have respect in the discussion and not to make the theme of peace an empty discussion. "One of the serious problems we have had in Colombia is that this issue has been the subject of empty discussions and not a serious policy, because authentic policy is the construction of the common good, which therefore seeks the good of the country, and is therefore an obligation for all," said Cardinal Rubén Salazar.
In the note sent to Fides, it says, "If Colombia must have a common goal, this should be peace, because we have never had it. We have always lived a story full of blood, of victims," said the Cardinal.
Cardinal Salazar expressed the Church's position in a meeting with the press to announce that on April 9, the Catholic Church will join the march in favor of the peace process that will take place throughout the Country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/04/2013)
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation
- 2015-09-11 - Week of Peace: Colombians want a date for talks with the ELN
- 2015-09-07 - The Bishop of Cucuta marches in defense of the rights of Colombians
- 2015-09-03 - Meeting of the Bishops of Colombia and Venezuela on the border area crisis
- 2015-09-03 - Dengue haemorrhagic fever affects children in Huila
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC