AFRICA - Africa among the continents most affected by the scourge of landmines
Rome (Agenzia Fides) – Out of 110 million mines scattered around the world, 44 million are in Africa according to the latest statistics. These weapons still pose a threat to the lives of present and future generations, said the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Ban Ki-Moon, in his speech on the occasion of the World Day for the Promotion and Assistance in Mine Action which is celebrated today, April 4.
One of the African countries most affected by this scourge is the Democratic Republic of Congo. According to the director of the Congolese Center for mine clearance, the territory of several provinces of the Country is littered with unexploded ordnance and mines. Only 30% of these instruments of death has been neutralized.
The provinces most affected are the Equatorial, l'Orientale, Katanga, a part of Maniema, South and North Kivu and the two Kasai. In the DRC from 2002 to 2012, 2458 people died because of landmines.
Other African Countries whose territory is still littered with landmines and other unexploded devices are Angola, Chad, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, and more recently Mali. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/04/2013)
- 2014-10-10 - The campaign "Let us turn over a new leaf, for democratic change in Africa" has been launched
- 2014-09-25 - Ebola and witchcraft: children accused of causing the spread of the virus
- 2014-06-25 - Ebola in West Africa: massive deployment of resources needed
- 2014-06-23 - "Immigrants are transforming our Church", say the Catholic Bishops of North Africa
- 2014-06-11 - Economics and Finance: Is Africa the continent of the future?
- 2014-04-25 - President of SECAM: "Africans have to rely greatly on their own human material resources"
- 2013-12-02 - No discrimination of AIDS patients; emphasis on "miraculous" solutions
- 2013-11-20 - Thirty years of the Church’s commitment in Africa against AIDS
- 2013-11-12 - Typhoon in the Philippines: solidarity in Africa springs into action
- 2013-10-15 - The wishes of the Catholic Church in Africa to the Muslim faithful for the feast of Aid El Adha